DT175 Rebuild- Countdown to Restart, with questions . . .

oldbikerehab
This post is 3499 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After a few kicks this morning and nothing, I gave a shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner, gave a kick and she started but went full throttle so I hit the kill switch. I turned the throttle, thinking the carb was stuck but could hear the slide moving so I tried to start it again and same thing. It looks like the oil pump has sputtered a little bit of oil towards the carb, but nothing reaching the carb yet. I've bled the pump but I don't think there's a need to prime it to get oil to the carb that I know of. I guess it's time for a lunch break to reassess and probably take the carb apart, again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the slide, its very possible to get it in in the wrong position.

The slide can be fitted 180deg about, there is a grove down the slide that aligns with a pin in the throttle body preventing the slide from turning. If the slide is fitted wrong then the slide will go in but it will stop against the pin giving around 3/4 throttle.

Done it myself, sounds like its sliding and it will be from 3/4 to full chat.

Alright! Here's the latest- I flipped the slide, gave it a kick, started right up and idled away. But . . . I can see the oil pump moving in and out so I know it's working, but I don't really know how much flow should be going to the carb. It looks like there's just a light coating inside the oil tube to the carb. Shouldn't it be full? I've just been adding a few drops of two stroke to the cylinder when I start to make sure it's not dry and only running it for about 30 sec at a time. The oil line from the tank to the pump is full btw. Hopefully someone is still hanging around the forum.

The motor needs to be running to bleed the pump. Don't panic the oil you used during assembly will keep here happy for maybe 15-20minutes and then she will only get a bit hot if she is just idling. The oil doesent just vanish after every stroke.

If the feed is full can you see the bleed screw on the pump. Just back from the plunger, take that out. Start her up then let it run out till there is no bubbles. Much like bleeding a brake line. Shouldn't take more than 15-30secs to bleed up. Then replace the screw.

You should then see the oil filling the pipe. Hold the pump at maximum to fill the feed line a bit quicker. Won't do it any harm.

Oil line at carb has slowly filled to mid way and it doesn't seem to want to go all the way to the carb. Does that sound about right? When I rev the engine it seems to pull a few little drops to the carb or does the tube need to be full all the way to the carb? I'll owe you a pint of something the next time I'm in the middle of middle England for all your help Cynic. For now I'll have to repay with pics of this bad bike once everything's dialed in.

No should fill all the way to the carb, have you bled the pump properly yet?

Thats the one, did you hold the pump on maximum while you did it?

You should see the oil pulsing towards the carb in small steps of maybe 1/4 inch with the pump on max.

The motor needs to be running to bleed the pump. Don't panic the oil you used during assembly will keep here happy for maybe 15-20minutes and then she will only get a bit hot if she is just idling. The oil doesent just vanish after every stroke.

If the feed is full can you see the bleed screw on the pump. Just back from the plunger, take that out. Start her up then let it run out till there is no bubbles. Much like bleeding a brake line. Shouldn't take more than 15-30secs to bleed up. Then replace the screw.

You should then see the oil filling the pipe. Hold the pump at maximum to fill the feed line a bit quicker. Won't do it any harm.

Beg to differ Jason, engine stopped

Beg to differ Jason, engine stopped

Sorry Paul beg to differ on the beg to differ, engine stopped if you have the thumb wheel on the back of the pump. With the later pump thats minus the wheel you have to run the motor. As i understood it. take forever to let it drip.

Quoted from Haynes manual Page 142/34

"To prime the feed pipe start the engine (maimum speed 2000rpm) for a few minutes whilst holding the pump pully in the fully open position by pulling the pump cable"

I've always done mine that way, the DT's, the TDR and the old elsie. Did em all like that.

Never had any issues at all.

Wow, either way that pump bleeding took a lot longer than I would have thought, just like this whole build I guess. LOL If I hadn't had you guys here to help out I wouldn't have been able to get this thing going. So after having it in pieces since November, it's finally running and the sun is shining. Time to tool around the neighborhood at some low rpms to break it in but I'll be back with a report and happy to fill anyone in who may stumble into this thread about where I got my parts, etc. Thanks again!

Great news, enjoy.

I've always done mine that way, the DT's, the TDR and the old elsie. Did em all like that.

Never had any issues at all.

and as you can imagine i've never done mine that way...just followed the haynes book and never had any issues either!

Wow, either way that pump bleeding took a lot longer than I would have thought, just like this whole build I guess. LOL If I hadn't had you guys here to help out I wouldn't have been able to get this thing going. So after having it in pieces since November, it's finally running and the sun is shining. Time to tool around the neighborhood at some low rpms to break it in but I'll be back with a report and happy to fill anyone in who may stumble into this thread about where I got my parts, etc. Thanks again!

Great news , enjoy you bike they really are super little machines

and as you can imagine i've never done mine that way...just followed the haynes book and never had any issues either!

:D