XS400 2E running at last

exess4
This post is 4428 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Upon another review of my own video the burning oil from cam seal behind the points doesn't bother me since i kind of expected that, it just looks real bad for now.

Although the exhaust looks does look as if it is burning oil. I was thinking a below-freezing garage and rich mixture and/or timing needs to be fine tuned in.

Does that not look like i am burning oil? When I rebuilt quite a while back, and didn't know what I was doing, is it possible the brand new valve stem seals are not pushed down all the way? Or might it be what i first thought - coldness / rich mix / timing?

th_MOV00376.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did you use lots of oil when building the engine? could be it just needs a good run.

I'm a bit concerned that mist is pouring from the end cam. This suggests worn bores to me, generating too much crank pressure. the piston rings may have stuck, which a good run will cure.

double check oil levels are not too high (overfilled, and which could be gas in the oil from leaky carbs)

I remember reading on here somewhere,,, sometime ago

that they all loose a bit of oil from the seal behind the points,,,,,,,,,, it that correct ??? eh! Drewps, what say you !!!

All good advice as expected. I bought the oil by the gallon 4 qt jug and considered it was possible I poured too much in a tad.

The rings are new, so i had the cylinders honed as well.

The end cam seal will be replaced. I stopped by Yam dealer today and he couldn't get it so I'll find it elsewhere.

I will look forward to giving it a good run too! If it works itself out all the better and all the more fun :thumb: Thanks!

I remember reading on here somewhere,,, sometime ago

that they all loose a bit of oil from the seal behind the points,,,,,,,,,, it that correct ??? eh! Drewps, what say you !!!

not under pressure like that, Pat. a wee dribble like what your missus says

did you use lots of oil when building the engine? could be it just needs a good run.

I'm a bit concerned that mist is pouring from the end cam. This suggests worn bores to me, generating too much crank pressure. the piston rings may have stuck, which a good run will cure.

double check oil levels are not too high (overfilled, and which could be gas in the oil from leaky carbs)

Oil level is just slightly below the mark and probably from burning off.

So what i'm understanding from that Drewpy is that possible blowby gas and increased pressure in the crankcase. The mist is an oil mist at top end and too much oil being forced up to cams? Also that the blowby would cause gas in oil. That's what I understand from that.

Here is the short answer to my question (picture). Right now still in denial but not looking at the thing so affectionately as a day ago. Yes I am an ASS. Needless to say I didn't start it this evening. short-lived jubilation. Exhaust was still smoking when shut it off and it was running for 40-50 minutes (2 videos i have are 55 minutes apart). Not sure but not in a hurry anymore.

Brand new spark plugs. 1 hour, 0 miles on them.

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

stuck piston rings or worn bore! there's also a possibility the valve stem oil seals have failed as my exhaust smoked when 1 did. the only caveat is that cam seal oil pressure

I wanted to reply earlier but didn't get the chance.

WHY DID I EVER DOUBT. After so much idling and 3-4k reving, i thought that would suffice as a good run!

I thought long and hard on that reply about crankcase pressure. I decided to take out the gasket under the breather cover. Started it and much the same.

Today it was a crazy 60 degrees (f) day in MN. :jossun: Just to see if it would at least shift through the gears (got to 4th in a short alley), and if not then no reason to worry about burning oil anyway, i went a mere tenth of a mile down alley staying in 2nd. Turned around and got to 4th gear and hard on the brakes (nothing to lose). (drum pads are quite worn and just more $ into the thing, ha).

So it shifts beautifully. . . .AND. . . back in the garage it WAS NOT BURNING OIL!

Started it several hours later and ALL GOOD. Just a good run! All .2 miles of a good run.

Why did I even doubt the advice? :sorry: Only I just don't quite understand it. Hmmmm. Idling and revving for an hour with continuous oil-burning smoke.

Then a 1 minute semi-hard ride and I'm back to manically happy. The whole experience has been manic! :spin2::shakeno::eusa_think::hyper:

And I rode my bike!!! :grin:

not only that the cam seal didn't seem to be leaking, for sure not as much. tho it will be replaced. And learned electrics to headlight good, light is burned out, a good day :)

Once again to gazing affectionately, admiringly upon my 'new' bike :love-struct:

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

I like it with the little bit of mud-splash on it! Yea!! Thanks for the help as always YOC.

not only that the cam seal didn't seem to be leaking, for sure not as much. tho it will be replaced. And learned electrics to headlight good, light is burned out, a good day :)

sounds like the rings have freed off then. Its called Italian servicing. giving the bike some welly. :D

sounds like the rings have freed off then. Its called Italian servicing. giving the bike some welly. :D

i saw once that someone had to ask what that was - as i wouldve - must have been Americano. :icon_neutral:

Yes I am in love! The shortest but sweetest of a ride :eusa_dance:

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone noticed with the xs how far you have to knock the gear changer up or down for it to change gear? x i'm used to about 2 centimetres for an aggresive sorta change( typical teen ) but with the xs, if i wanna ride it slow and casual ( not much choice ) you still have to kick the lever up over an inch? :/ just my lovely rat or anyone elses too?

From the less than 2 miles I've put on mine so far it seems that way.

Going from 2nd down to first I had to intently weight it down to not get neutral. Other shifting also seemed to have to give it some conscious leverage. BUT I assumed it is just a takes-gettiing-used-to thing since it is from 30+ years ago.

mines fine, in fact its better than some modern bikes I've ridden!

to get to 2nd to 1st, you have to push down twice, not jump on it to get it there. There is a pawl and ratchet which has to return to its central position before hooking onto the next gear/neutral position.

A loose rear drive chain gives the worst gear change

mines fine, in fact its better than some modern bikes I've ridden!

to get to 2nd to 1st, you have to push down twice, not jump on it to get it there. There is a pawl and ratchet which has to return to its central position before hooking onto the next gear/neutral position.

A loose rear drive chain gives the worst gear change

AHA! That is right, I never did get directly from 2nd to 1st without hitting neutral. Good to know that is how it is supposed to work. My first experience with a "vintage" , or maybe it's a Yamaha thing. But happy to hear that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online