New chain, feels like something is slipping?

St0fxxx
This post is 4439 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello again chaps n chapesses

ive just fitted a new pair of sprockets an a new chain. When im riding in the lower gears and the power band kicks in it feels like something is slipping, the bike judders well more the back wheel.

ive double checked and everything is tightened back wheel front sprocket etc. The chain is tight/loose enough i think.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do you know that the chain has tight spots?

you need to rotate the rear wheel and tug on the longest part (usually lower) till its the tightest and then adjust it there.

Hey drewpy

Thanks for the reply.

By chain has tight spots do you mean like kinks in the chain? So the chain is actually too loose once its spinning? Sorry mate, i dont really understand what you mean

<feels dumb>

Cheers :)

hello again chaps n chapesses

ive just fitted a new pair of sprockets an a new chain. When im riding in the lower gears and the power band kicks in it feels like something is slipping, the bike judders well more the back wheel.

ive double checked and everything is tightened back wheel front sprocket etc. The chain is tight/loose enough i think.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance :)

Get the back wheel off the floor and the bike level, bike in neutral, ignition off. Rotate the wheel in the direction of travel and watch the chain on the bottom run. Its normal to see the amount of sag vary between most and least. Adjust the chain at the point of least sag to give the amount of movement described in the owners manual.

Before locking up the axle, check that the front and rear wheels are in line with each other, there should be some sort of increment mark on the rear adjustment to set up to

Sweet thanks nsd!

EDIT:

Yep you were both right, the chain was too loose.

Tightened this morning and all is well.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

I now understand what you meant Drewpy :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online