need help starting my 03 WR450

This post is 4486 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and have a question. I've owned dirt bikes my whole life and just added another to my list of bikes that I've owned. I just bought a 2003 WR450 from somebody who told me it hasn't been started in four years, in storage, they also told me the electric start doesn't work, no biggie, so I bought a new plug and cleaned out the carb. I kicked this thing literally all day and started 4 times but only briefly. Is there some kind of trick to starting these things? I've never owned anything this new or big. Also is there two hot starts. I have one on a lever and one red knob. The bike only started after I messed with the red knob. Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Firewalker, I was wondering if the RED KNOB might be the kill switch that is on the right side handlebar by the throttle, if so it usually is forward (towards the Front!) is OFF and back is for the start position, then you have the choke on the left side handlebar under the switch gear, fuel is pretty obvious really and that should be it, if it fired 4 times then you at least know it goes so it's just a question of figuring out why it wont run for prolonged periods. I would suggest that after 4 years standing still it might need new oil new plugs plus you might check that the timing is correct. Also you might ask the guy you bought it off why he stored it, it might be that it was having trouble starting? Hope at least some of that helps, let us know how you get on. :jossun:

The red knob is on the carburetor not the the handle bars. There is also a little lever next to the clutch. I think

ought that was a compression release, but after reading some of these threads I think it is a hot start lever. The guy stored it because he got into car racing. Said it ran like a top when. He parked it.

Welcome fireW, " The red knob will be hot start, as these 4 strokes are a pig to start wen hot, watch MX gp "s if the fall off , they kick the hell out of em, hot start is excess fuel , thats why it offered wen you used it, Your problem is deffo carb jets " you say u cleaned it ? with a scoot of carb clean ? or did you check all jets, esp , pilot , and choke jet / well. the well is a long passage in the float bowl , the choke feed/ jet [ brass pipe] dips in to this well , thers a little hole at bottom of well into main float bowl , blast that till cleaner comes thru" take out pilot, [ flat screw driver] clean side holes and centre hole ,[with needle] then hold it up and blast cleaner thru, the main is the bg jet , .clean also. then needle , under the float, as this is where fuel enters carb ,, if u clean all these, i guarantee she"l start,, oh mind the pet cock, :icon_cheesygrin: