Advice for getting a Cat C write off back on the road

nickchips
This post is 4492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I'm after some advice with getting a Cat C write off back on the road. It's a YBR 125 custom, first bike, bought second hand for about £1400.

I had a *very* minor accident a few months back. Was parked on the road and a big SUV backed into the bike, knocking it into another bike. The damage to mine looked very minimal (dented the instrument panel I'd only recently replaced(!), a broken indicator light, some minor scratches). The other bike was a lot worse off, and when I found the bike neither driver was there so I reported it to my insurer and the police to cover my back... a week later the car driver got in touch, was unreservedly apologetic and said his third party insurance would cover all repairs. To cut a long story short, they took the bike off me, gave me a courtesy one and 3 weeks later sent it back saying they'd given it a cat C write-off, valued it as £500 salvage and gave me a cheque for a grand.

I'm still not sure how good/bad that outcome is! There was some damage from a previous minor accident - no insurance involved that time, I had it checked out at a dealer and got a few things replaced but left the stuff that was purely cosmetic. The insurer didn't ask for any details of what was actually damaged this time so I imagine they just quoted for replacing everything with a minor scratch on it. I had to cancel the insurance as my insurer won't cover bikes with write offs. I then spent another 3 weeks trying to get the engineer's report to see what actually needs fixing, and eventually just got a sheet with absolutely no info apart from basically "body parts £1200... labour £400... definitely a write off"!

Having cheked around with insurers and the DVLA, it seems that I don't actually have to get a VIC or even an MOT to be legal, but the insurers I found that would cover it again wanted an MOT and I want to make sure its roadworthy. I've driven it about a bit off road and it seems the same as it ever was. Bars and forks look straight. Should I take it to a garage and get another damage report? This will apparently be about £25, plus I'll have to pay £40-50 each way to get it to the garage and back since its not insured. Or should I just book it straight in for an MOT and take it from there? I'm also not sure when it comes to re-insuring it what I should put for the value of the bike. It is/was worth about £1500... do I stick with that or knock it down? Do I go as far down as the write off value? I just want to get the damn thing back on the road!

Cheers for the advice in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

2 different help posts but can't be ar5ed to post a hello. Do you really want people to help??

The bike needs an MOT then apply for the V5 on its original reg number. No other checks required for bikes.

ask the insurence if they will cover it fully comp,

as i had a cat c damaged car. the insurence would only cover it third party only.

because after market items had been used to repair it.

Hi Nick, It might be an idea to go to "new members" section and say hello BEFORE asking loads of questions and looking for advice, people like to know who they are talking to before they get involved. Plus when you think about it just rolling up and asking questions of strangers is RUDE, so be nice and say Hi to everyone and they (might) be nice back. :jossun:

Okay I will say thank you for him, hope you feel better now :love: Just makes me mad that people assume cos you got a bike that you will give free advice without so much as a hello, plus a dose of manners might stop him getting a good kicking next time he's in the pub. :bawling:

haha, sorry guys, I'm sure i had an introductory post ages back... but apparently not! I shall go and fix that tomorrow (been up in scotland for a few days with no internet). I've mostly just been lurking reading peoples advice and crazy stories :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online