Just picked up a '72 DT2

Detale
This post is 4497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello again guys. Was just curious how many members here had DT2's or similar here? I posted in the welcome thread a few pics in case you missed them here she is.

71074490.jpg

I plan on making it street legal and would welcome any tips advice you guys would have. Does anyone know where I could pick up a Manual in PDF format?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Yeah I did the resto myself 3 years ago now. I kept the bike as original as I could (condition permitting)a lot of the polished parts i.e hubs had to be painted as they were too pitted for my liking. All original chrome was re-chromed and many nos parts purchsed, all fastners were replaced with stainless the whole resto was done to withstand our delightful climate so it can actualy be ridden, it required a very deep pocket but worth it, it does get ridden as well it's not just for looking at, fun times!! :hyper:

both are cracking bikes,, :jossun: ,,, i"v never seen a dt1 in the flesh,, i think they"r smaller than the later Dt"s , 18" front wheels etc,, compared to 21" on the DT range,,

there was a tidy green DT2 , at auction near buxton this week, i missed how mutch it went for,,, :idea:

Thanks so much! I have the parts list already. I am however looking for a place to buy a decent looking oil tank for the bike. There are 2 on Ebay but they are dented up. Any suggestions would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again gang and Happy New Year! OK so I have a few questions that I'm not sure about, maybe someone can help. Here are some pics of it

img1808n.jpg

img1807x.jpg

I wanted to ask if I can repack the muffler? As it is now it's wont pass inspection to be street legal. I need to quiet it down a bit. Even if I had to get a new styly exhaust as I'm not looking to do a complete restoration here just get it to be able to ride on the street. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Also I noticed the 2nd spark plug with no wire attached. Is this supposed to be like this? It started on the 3rd kick and sounded pretty fair. I haven't had any real time to spend on it yet but I figured I could ask here. Thanks guys.

Hi, I have been told that the second plug is so that a plug with a different operating grade can be fitted to give the bike the option of swapping over the plug cap if the first plug fails, others will know more, I suppose a De-compressor valve could also be fitted there if needed, a mates DT had a second plug and it had a blank fitted in stead of a plug.