Guess the bike

Alex
This post is 7010 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

pd618.jpg

Well i was just going through my travel pics, and have forgotten what this bike was?

Does anyone know. Im pretty sure it was one of the first motorbikes ever made, pretty cool that it has hub centre steering B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pd618.jpg

Well i was just going through my travel pics, and have forgotten what this bike was?

Does anyone know. Im pretty sure it was one of the first motorbikes ever made, pretty cool that it has hub centre steering  B)

The bike pictured is a 1921 Ner-a-car. Built in Syracuse N.Y and under licence by the Simplex Luxury Car Maker of Sheffield U.K.

The first bikes were powered(?) by a 221cc 2 stroke single. The U.K built bikes were 285cc or 350cc 2 stroke singles. These were known as the Blackburne or Model C. They stopped production in 1924.

:)

I've heard of those from somewhere.aa_3.gif

Maybe it's just me, but there's just something "Wrong" about a bike with FloorBoards instead of proper footpegs. :rolleyes:

• Admin

Well done Alan! :headbang::beerchug:

I remember now it was designed by Carl Neracher but im pretty sure it was older than 1921... will have to check with pete ;)

I've heard of those from somewhere.aa_3.gif

Maybe it's just me, but there's just something "Wrong" about a bike with FloorBoards instead of proper footpegs. :rolleyes:

Yep think leadwing or Harley 'Massey Ferguson' Davidson :rolleyes:;):D

• Admin

Well the museum got back to me, after Alan and filled me in, but heres what they said.

The Neracar was created by Carl A Neracher, built by the Ner-A-Car Corporation in Syracuse, New York in 1921 and also in Sheffield, England later that year.

Carl Neracher acquired a patent for the Neracar in the USA in 1919 and with financing help from razor maker King C. Gillette began production two years later.

The Neracar was aimed at people who wanted a comfortable vehicle but couldn't afford a car. And was advertised as "300 miles for a dollar" and 85-100 miles to a gallon and a speed of 35mph.

It featured a single cylinder 13.5 (221cc) cubic inch engine and used friction drive by means of a fabric coated wheel rubbing a flywheel which causes friction and in turn creates motion and a lever to slide the wheel to different positions for changing ratios and acting as different gears (three speed).

Also unique to the Neracar was the center hub steering system. The British Neracar also known as the Sheffield Simplex version, as it was made under license by the Simplex Luxury Carmaker in Sheffield, England. It featured a larger engine 285cc two-stroke, and in 1925 was upgraded to a 350cc engine, known as the Blackburne and Model C.

While the American version engine size was increased to 15.5 cubic inch in 1924 and was known as the Model B.

The Ner-A-Car corporation stopped making Neracar's in the USA, after the 1924 production model, due to lack of popularity.

Production also ceased in England in 1926 after a new luxurious and expensive hybrid model failed, the company closed it's motorcycle division .

Well the museum got back to me, after Alan and filled me in, but heres what they said.

The Neracar was created by Carl A Neracher, built by the Ner-A-Car Corporation in Syracuse, New York in 1921 and also in Sheffield, England later that year.

Carl Neracher acquired a patent for the Neracar in the USA in 1919 and with financing help from razor maker King C. Gillette began production two years later.

The Neracar was aimed at people who wanted a comfortable vehicle but couldn't afford a car. And was advertised as "300 miles for a dollar" and 85-100 miles to a gallon and a speed of 35mph.

It featured a single cylinder 13.5 (221cc) cubic inch engine and used friction drive by means of a fabric coated wheel rubbing a flywheel which causes friction and in turn creates motion and a lever to slide the wheel to different positions for changing ratios and acting as different gears (three speed).

Also unique to the Neracar was the center hub steering system. The British Neracar also known as the Sheffield Simplex version, as it was made under license by the Simplex Luxury Carmaker in Sheffield, England.  It featured a larger engine 285cc two-stroke, and in 1925 was upgraded to a 350cc engine, known as the Blackburne and Model C.

While the American version engine size was increased to 15.5 cubic inch in 1924 and was known as the Model B.

The Ner-A-Car corporation stopped making Neracar's in the USA, after the 1924 production model, due to lack of popularity.

Production also ceased in England in 1926 after a new luxurious and expensive hybrid model failed, the company closed it's motorcycle division .

Go on, ask me another? ;):D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online