'82 XT550 problem with revs

Thumper600
This post is 4557 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone.

Recently I was riding my XT and I noticed that in 5th, and only 5th, it climbs through the revs nicely, but won't rev out like it does through all the other gears, if the back wheel is spinning in 5th, it revs out fine, but when it has any kind of load it refuses to go any faster. This happens at about 120-140KMPH.

Could this have anything to do with the carb, or the second jet not starting like it should, or not getting enough air? or anything like that?

Cheers, Thumper.

EDIT: It is a single cylinder 4 stroke, single carb with the YDIS.

EDIT2: I was taking a video on my phone to show you what I meant but I dropped it and it smashed(excellent)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Thumper, check the fuel lines first and make sure they are ok, they can get blocked same with the fuel tap filter. Pipes can collapse under pressure so if they are a bit old and knackered change them out. might I suppose be a blocked jet but then it would do it in all gears and not just 5th also check the gaskets around the carb to make sure they are not split (to much air) other than that your on your own with out more info to go on. :jossun:

Cheers for the reply.

I've checked all the fuel lines and the filter, all sweet as. I don't think it's starving for gas. Gaskets look OK, but could do with a change, I got the bike off a guy who didn't know what maintenance was, the bike was caked in about half an inch of clay when I got it.

I think I better just take the carb off and give it a good clean, but I don't think that's the problem.

Ok good for you. WHAT IS IT! tell us so next time some one asks we can tell them. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online