Do you lads use Dragstars daily

Julian-Liverpool
This post is 4640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am still looking for my first bike (650 or 1000) and now moving house so need a bike for daily use really. I see a lot that have never seen rain, but does anyone use these bikes for daily commute and if so, are they still a good buy for city center driving etc.

Maybe I should buy an older model Star so not too worried about dirt, salt, rain etc

Or do I need to be looking at an alternative bike?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I use a '99 reg 650 Dragstar for EVERYTHING, all year round - from pissing about with the traffic fuckwitts in the middle of Reading, to blazing down the open motorway, to filtering down the now congested motorway, to "playing in traffic" in the middle of London, to loooooooooooooooong rides all around the country, to posing outside the biker cafes, to.... well, everything.

Never had any issues.

Ride it often and the handling will be second nature. It won't be as nippy as a 'Ped or a dinky 125 in heavy traffic, but you're not often slowed down much, either.

Only weather I would not advise riding in is ice & snow. It's OK, but very easy to lock up and go sliding. Rain and rust is not an issue so long as you wash all the road crap off regularly. Just get yourself a bucket and sponge, a few brushes and stuff.

Try also ACF 50 or Scottoiler 365.

i agree with taskmaster, you can use this bike for everything, mines is a 97 model and got no problems apart from a few cosmetic issues that were caused mainly by neglect on MY part. and yes its used everyday. loads of older low millage stars on the bay at good prices. wolf.

I bought my 02 XVS650 Classic in January this year and whilst I tend to ride it only in the dry, I suspect the previous owner rode it sll yesr round as he put 28k miles on it and in some areas you can see it, like some corrosion to the chrome wheel rims, I suspect from pooling water and the switchgear housing coating peeling where water has got underneath it. These bits and pieces are slowly being replaced, rechromed, etc but the bike runs beautifully despite the obvious signs of former abuse.

Whilst its never happened to me, the only thing I have ever heard of to be watchful of in the rain, is the electrics but I guess you could say this about any machine in a downpour.

hi julian

i picked mine up reletively cheap 650 classic on y plate (was a trade in at local m/c dealers)with quite a few scrapes on it plan was to run it like that for a year

after 5 mins started sourcing all the bits to get it how i want it

dont get as much use out of it as i thought

but do ride it come rain or shine

great bikes gary

:D

I was even looking at a Honda Pan Euro, but as a cruiser has always been my aim,

I'm still considering an 1100 Pan as a second bike, myself. Just need to get all the other expensive stuff (house, wedding, etc) out the way first!!

I'm still considering an 1100 Pan as a second bike, myself. Just need to get all the other expensive stuff (house, wedding, etc) out the way first!!

Have you considered running off with trailer on bike.... dont get wed, live on the road (who needs a chick with mates here) LOL

Pan's are nice looking bikes though, and reviews seem great, better mileage (well bigger tank capacity) and cheaper than stars. But a star is a dream for me :-) I'm in child mode now :-)

Have you considered running off with trailer on bike.... dont get wed, live on the road (who needs a chick with mates here) LOL

Ah... see my chick rides Cruisers too, cooks like a god (learned in a Michelin Star kitchen) and does all sorts of really cool stuff that no-one here could. I'm afraid the choice is fairly clear :wub:

Besides, if I did skidaddle, her mates in her Club and all our friends in MCs would probably come and hurt me real bad!! :o

Pan's are nice looking bikes though,

Won't be once I've finished bastardising mine...

But if you like the Drag, definitely go for it. I've never regretted that choice!!

Fortunately I had my 1100 Pan before I met my wife so that was never a problem. She was never happy about my getting the 1300 model though! A warm glow comes over me when I think about that fuel tank on the 1100, the only bike I have ever been able to break 200 miles without a fill up. Ahhhh, memories.

Probably only cost about £11 to fill up as well but let's not get started on fuel prices!!!!

Ha ha, has she got a single sister :-)

Strangely, you're not the first to ask that...

I can tell you she has one sister who is "not yet married". Beyond that, you're on your own... especially when dealing with said sister's current boyfriend!

Yeah, but has he got a Dragstar..... I nearly have :-)

Ah, the question is whether she would even like a dirty, filthy biker type in the first place.

She gets on with me well enough, it seems. But she's very much a modern hippy-chick sort, early 20s, likes her beers and cider and music festivals, semi-vegetarian, travels a bit, stuff like that. Plus her 'boyf' is quite a stand-up guy, so you'll have considerable shoes to fill ;)

Still interested? :lol:

Well if you're not even going to try.... :rolleyes:

Actually, she's 24-odd, so mid-20s.

She's not by any chance W.I.T.C.H. is she?

Nope. Her lot are one of the Sisterhood Patch Clubs from down Kent area.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online