My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3581 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well thats it, i officially hate wiring! trying to get the wires though these Z bars prooved to be a pain in the ass, i could get the wire round the first 90 degree bend but i just couldn't make the last turn. I tired every trick in the book, Welding wire, thick electrical wire, thin wire, string, string blown through with compressed air even the odd swear word but nope not having non of it so after two hour on one wire i gave up and had to drill a new hole in the bars so instead of one hole for the wires i now have three but this seams the better way as the first one i driled was going to be way too small for all the wires i had to go through it.

So far i've only managed to solder up the horn and the clutch switch which is pritty piss poor for 2 and a half hours work :shakeno:

Day late and a dollar short but did you try a small nut tied to the string and a magnet on the out side to pull the string through while blowing air just a trick I use to get around tight bends.

2 hrs is not really that bad at least your moving forward hiding wires in the bars is no small job, think about it some cant even get wiring right when they can see it LOL .Are you using all the same colour wire so when you sell it the next guy goes nut tryin to figure it out LOL

Yer just a bit late with that tip dt ha ha. Sorted out one set of controls last night and it's always the last write that's the hardest to pull isn't it.

Na using two different color writes but also writing down what I've done in the notes section in the Haynes Manuel to give the next owner some hints ha ha.

Done a little to my rear mud guard too last night.

DSC_0559_zpsxtpr0uad.jpg

Well i finally finished the rear mud guard last night and im pretty darn happy with it. :hyper:

DSC_0560_zpsanpqdiut.jpg

DSC_0561_zpspqoczhya.jpg

DSC_0562_zps08jwpolg.jpg

DSC_0563_zpssvoszdjn.jpg

DSC_0564_zpsf8jh7h4v.jpg

Just got to finish the wiring, fuel tank, buy some indicators, front tyre, exhaust wrap and sort out a number plate bracket. :spin2:

Yer it was a decal but stuck it on sprayed over it with primer then black peeled off the decal, sanded it down and gave it 4 coats of clear. Not 100% perfect but that's what I want, a posh rat bike type thing.

Cheers RZ, just want the pissing thing back on the road now, there is only a certain amount of times you can sit on a bike and go BBBBBRRRRRR BBBRRRUUUMMM!!!! Till men in white suits come to admit you for long term care ha ha

• Like 1

Yer been let out on good behaviour ha ha, cheers mate got the Fuel Tank finished now and have to say I'm happy I've done what I did. Will post pics tonight or tomorrow. Again it's a mix up of perfect but not perfect.

As promised here are some pics of the fuel tank, sorry about the quality I took them in the dark as we have yet another power cut.

DSC_0565_zpss8hkva1a.jpg

DSC_0566_zps9ssqf7bx.jpg

DSC_0571_zps3hovkg8o.jpg

Can you spot the imperfection? Ha ha.

Thing is I love the look of bare metal and when dt suggested it then that's what I had to do ha ha, the mud guards / fenders are plastic so can't get the metal look so they had to be black to match the frame and the Tank now matches the forks and shaft drive Bell housing.

Nice when people listen HAHA I LIKE IT, the pin striping set's it off just perfect I think it goes right with the seat in the bare bones way,but with style.

Nice part is it will be easy to touch up if it gets scratched.

Once the bike is done and you have a few extra bucks hopefully you can find a front steel fender on the cheap having the back black blends the tire frame and seat together.

It really is a cool theme you went for ,so little to do now and Betty will be running down the road again I cant waite to see it in the sun

Thing is I love the look of bare metal and when dt suggested it then that's what I had to do ha ha, the mud guards / fenders are plastic so can't get the metal look so they had to be black to match the frame and the Tank now matches the forks and shaft drive Bell housing.

Haha alright fair enough, but now like Flip says you have to match the fenders with some metal ones when you find the perfect match! :D

Yer think i will soon get some metal mud gaurds (Fenders) in the near future which will make every thing match, thing is tho i was on Ebay last night and sort of fell in love with the 1600 wild star and really really want it. But i think this year i'll ride Betty then will think about moving her on to get a bigger beast.

Done some more wiring last night and im glad to report that tonight all the wiring will be done :hyper: Pay day tomorrow so will be off to the tyre shop on Friday to get a front tyre so then i can roll her out of the shed to have my first proper look at her in months. then its just the little finishing touches and she's ready to go.

END OF MARCH IT IS PEOPLE!!!!!!! :angel3:

Al the electrics are now done, just a case of sorting out the rest of it now and getting her tested and taxed.

Question tho............

With the Harley Sporty tank, should / do they have a gasket on the fuel tap? mine was never supplied with one and nor can i find one on Ebay, Now im no genious but surely it should have one to stop fuel pissing all over the motor.