chain

nickm
This post is 4696 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have done 22000 miles on my Fazer 600 and it's still got the original chain. I have a scottoiler ( dual injector ) fitted. Still cannot see any wear in the chain but should I change it due to the mileage or keep going until it fails.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

in my yam manual for xs400, it says pull chain out (half way round on the rear sprocket) If it lifts more than 1/2 chain link ,its worn!

I have done 22000 miles on my Fazer 600 and it's still got the original chain. I have a scottoiler ( dual injector ) fitted. Still cannot see any wear in the chain but should I change it due to the mileage or keep going until it fails.

I wouldnt advise running until failure, since failure will happen when you moving and could be doing 70. Also big risk of injury and serious damage to the machine. Theres no hard and fast rule and chain wear is difficult to spot unless youve got the chain off.

Take it off, lay it flay on something clean, push all of the play inwards (like a concertina)but dont let it bunch up.

Measure the length of the chain, then pull the chain play all outwards, and measure the length again. If its more than one fullpitch difference in length, consider changing.

This is only a rule of thumb, and depends upon the overall length f the chain, but folk are sometimes shocked at just how much their chain is stretched.

Tried to adjust the chain but one adjuster is seized!.Took the bike to a garage t see if they could do it for me. I'll have to book it in as they would need the bike for half a day. According to the mechanic the bolt could shear and then he would have to remove the swing arm to get it drilled. £50 approx cost if the bolt shears off. He thinks the chain is fine even after all those miles. Book it in for Friday as I finish work at lunch time.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online