Bl00dy SV speedo

DirtyDT
This post is 4718 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What happened to speedo cables with an outer and an inner with two knurled knobs, one at each end?

The SV speedo has decided to pack up. Common fault, normally the rotor or the sensor. so either £21 or £120 to fix. I guess both plus VAT :angry:

I just hope something was not clicked in when I had the wheels off for the tyres a few weeks ago. So front wheel off today and a quick lube to get set for Lincoln tomorrow.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What happened to speedo cables with an outer and an inner with two knurled knobs, one at each end?

The SV speedo has decided to pack up. Common fault, normally the rotor or the sensor. so either £21 or £120 to fix. I guess both plus VAT :angry:

I just hope something was not clicked in when I had the wheels off for the tyres a few weeks ago. So front wheel off today and a quick lube to get set for Lincoln tomorrow.

Bummer that, hope it's nearer to the £20 quid mark to fix, mind you I have found a very good free app for iphone, and presumably others i.e android, that might be of use as a tempary measure, and also depends how confident you are of strapping it in a place where it's not going to vibrate off, whether you use it or not, but if your nearest motorbike spares shop takes up to 2 weeks for parts to come through, like mine does, and maybe you need your bike to get to work every day, it could make the difference between getting 3 points on your license, if you've as many cameras as we have down here.

The apps called Dashboard,and you can either have it showing the screen as normal.

dsci0738t.jpg

Or theres a Heads Up Display feature that reflects off windshield/bubble etc

dsci0747.jpg

Hope this helps some. ;)

My mates speedo went a month ago DT, it was a brownish coloured ceramic bush at the wheel hub end-the two little lugs had broken-no surprise as it looks really weak-the replacement looked like it was more brittle a material-with plastic bits on, think its defo a weak spot on the SV - his was £22-and a fecker to get aligned when replacing :angry:

Whats an App?

Whats an iphone?

:huh:

Ask any 10 year old they'll soon tell ya ;)

Cheers guys.

NEV - I do have an app on my phone that came with all of the rest of the bloatware (OG - stuff you don't want, can't remove, but is there anyway ;) ). I have a HTC Desire HD BTW :D I won't use the speedo app though as I can't be ar5ed. Most of my commute is country lanes and then I hit 3 miles of duel carriageway average speed cameras. They do however, face towards the traffic and no plate on the front of the bike :lol:

BWJ - just took the front wheel off and the sensor is as you mention, just a black plastic/Bakelite thing. All 4 lugs are fine but there is supposed to be a thin washer which I think is missing. I can't see anything wrong with it so I have reassembled it as I don't want to mess about due to the ride out tomorrow. It may now be working, it may not, but if it is not I will order the whole lot (10 days). The other bad design is that the cable is bolted tightly to the fork in 2 places so this may have broken an internal wire.

OG - It is an easy fix, just Bl00dy expensive. Cash from my TS fund, unfortunately. I will be updating that thread when I finish posting this.

Cheers guys.

NEV - I do have an app on my phone that came with all of the rest of the bloatware (OG - stuff you don't want, can't remove, but is there anyway ;) ). I have a HTC Desire HD BTW :D I won't use the speedo app though as I can't be ar5ed. Most of my commute is country lanes and then I hit 3 miles of duel carriageway average speed cameras. They do however, face towards the traffic and no plate on the front of the bike :lol:

Actually I was thinking more of the fact that plod will be out in force tomorrow, seeing as its a bike fest, they'll be coining it in, those things they'll be pointing at ya, won't be hairdryers. :blink:

Just trying to be helpful, I'll be off then, I've got some fireworks I need to dry out;)

Actually I was thinking more of the fact that plod will be out in force tomorrow, seeing as its a bike fest, they'll be coining it in, those things they'll be pointing at ya, won't be hairdryers. :blink:

Just trying to be helpful, I'll be off then, I've got some fireworks I need to dry out;)

Ahh, sorry NEV I misunderstood. To be honest I didn't even think of that, so thanks. I am hoping that it is working but...........

Mind you it is an SV so any points for speeding on it will double the price when I sell it :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online