oil part II

TheReverend
This post is 4715 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so after topping it up with car oil :o:o ive bought some (8lt) of bike oil so i could drain whats in there fill up with the right stuff start him up let all the oil mix about a bit then drain again and then fill up with the good stuff now checking data n such on the bike it says it has a 3.2lt oil capacity now ive put just under 3lt in n the dip stick is reading well over the full level ? now i was tild by the previous owner that you had to run it for about 10 mins before checking the oil to get an accurate reading is this true.. plus pouring the oil in took fooooorever it would only take about 1/4 cup full at any one time before spilling over the top is there a better way of doing this than with a funnel thanks for any help, Rev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so after topping it up with car oil :o:o ive bought some (8lt) of bike oil so i could drain whats in there fill up with the right stuff start him up let all the oil mix about a bit then drain again and then fill up with the good stuff now checking data n such on the bike it says it has a 3.2lt oil capacity now ive put just under 3lt in n the dip stick is reading well over the full level ? now i was tild by the previous owner that you had to run it for about 10 mins before checking the oil to get an accurate reading is this true.. plus pouring the oil in took fooooorever it would only take about 1/4 cup full at any one time before spilling over the top is there a better way of doing this than with a funnel thanks for any help, Rev

This is something you really need to be checkingthe manual for. It may have a separate oil resivoir in the system, split sump?

As an example my TDR has 2 drain plugs for the gearbox oil due to their being 2 pressure fed area's and you need to run the bike to get those filled properly to get the right oil levels. If you don't do it right it ends up massively overfull as mine was when i got it. I drained nearly a pint from the system before it was right.

brilliant cheers cynic just the type of advice im after i could only see one but will check it out i feel a bit daft asking what seems like simple questions

so after topping it up with car oil .................

Just a reminder that car oil can ruin wet clutches. Thank you.

Just a reminder that car oil can ruin wet clutches. Thank you.

He knows that, keep up, thats why he's flushing the system... :P

Ha !! sorted system flushed good stuff in plus new oil filter next air filter n change exhaust studs (i'll try not to break it off) :D now i know an oil and filter change isnt anything big but its a start right... tomorrow plan to take over the world ha ha ha harr (in a nice sort of way)

one thing tho this run the engine for 10 mins to check the oil seems a bit strange to me for if its low will you not do damage to the engine ? i cant be the first to mention this so i do apologise but I DONT LIKE IT it makes me nervous :unsure:

Ha !! sorted system flushed good stuff in plus new oil filter next air filter n change exhaust studs (i'll try not to break it off) :D now i know an oil and filter change isnt anything big but its a start right... tomorrow plan to take over the world ha ha ha harr (in a nice sort of way)

you will need to check your oil level again if you are putting a new oil filter in :thumb::thumb:

Right , its not complicated but.....

You have to run the engine to get the oil nice and fluid and hot. Your engine doesent have a sump in the true sense. The oil is kept in the frame and there may well be a proper filler on there somewhere too. Under the tank or seat like as not.

After running for 10 mins the oil will be even in temp and viscosity so the level in the engine will be 'normal'. Before then it may puddle giving a duf impression that the engine is overfull.

I had the same concerns with my TDR thats a bit weird when it comes to oil changes as the gearbox oil is pumped through all the gearbox stressed components and bearings and that has to be checked warm.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online