My 1992 YAMAHA DT125R PROJECT

NEV
This post is 3147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Finally got round to putting the servo assisted powervalve on the bike yesterday, by christ theres a hell of a difference from before when it was pinned half open.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick up the wheels and forks and brembo up on Thursday, am going to make a caliper bracket for the Brembo, so as to try to keep the DT forks, that way it can go from Supermoto,, to Enduro set up in half an hour if needs be, can't see me going off road/green laning on it, but my lad will want to.

I'll just need to sort out another big disc out for the 21" wheel.

Still having issues with it suddenly dying on me, (re-starts imediately afterwards mind) and deffo feels electrical, and am still with the thinking its a dodgy wire on the magneto/stator loom, looking for the 2 pin 'cats eye' connectors on the magneto/CDI with a couple of inches of wiring left on, if you have any knocking about Paul? the replacement stator I have off a bottom half engine, I recently got was chopped instead of plugs pulled/undone, why I'll never know, but there ya go, and although the stator looks decent, it's still a bit of an unknown quantity as to whether its good or not,(only paid £6.00 for the whole bottom engine, so it's either a door stop or an absolute bargain at that price, and have already used the clutch basket off it as it was like new) and I dont fancy chopping the plugs off the one on the bike, as at least I know that one works, albeit tempermentaly.

Picked up wheels, forks and brembo caliper, all came with spindle and speedo unit, not sure if DT spacer will fit or not, deffo need the inspection rubber for the caliper much bigger than the DT one, all off a c1990-1992, TDR 125R ITALIA model, but having a job to find a parts list for a TDR that early, so as to price up bits.

tdr12592.jpg

Gave the wheels a bit of a tickle up,for saying the wheels are 20 odd years old very good nick, and the stainless spokes are like new, rims slightly scraped, but nothing a rattle can of black gloss and green rim tape won't sort outmind.

tdr125ritalia.jpg

Hoping there may be a TDR owner out there may help me out, regardng info?

img0485ee.jpg

brembocaliper2.jpg

All sprayed and cleaned up, just waiting on the rim tape

Cheers Dave, if all goes well with the SM conversion, and handles well for road use I'll more than likely do the same with my XT600, that'd be good I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well both TDR wheels are on the bike now, so it's pretty much Sumo'd up, just need to make the conversion bracket so I can still use the DTR forks, along with the 320mm TDR disc, and the DTX Brembo caliper, btw a word to the wise, if by anychance you come across a Brembo caliper for a TDR, and accidently split one of the slider rubber boots, BEWARE!! you can't get a replacement one for love nor money, you have to buy the whole frigging caliper, ffs. i even rang up Brembo UK to try and get one,

img0508pb.jpg

img0509xk.jpg

My lad Paul, I promised him if he gets off his backside, and gets a job I'll let him use it, he wants to be the envy of his mates, I want him to pay some chuffin board, bit of a carrot really,

looking good that nev! bit of a bummer about the rubber boots though :shakeno: i dont understand how they can sell the whole caliper,and not the rubber boots? bit wrong that :eusa_doh:

Aye daft ain't it, I'll ask on workshop thread see if there are any TDR owners out there might put me onto a compatable one.

I'll just use a DTX brembo I got off Ebay till then.

have a looksie at this site mate... its what i've been using to cross reference parts for my build... i was told that the 1st part of any yamaha code is the model it 1st came from eg 3mb,3bn,4fu etc etc now if the last part number matches yours it will fit :jossun: thats how i knew the wr 200 and yz bits would fit mine... http://www.megazip.ru/ru/bike/yamaha/view/1054/14418/178177#g178203 and http://www.megazip.ru/ru/bike/yamaha/view/435/13421/156569#g160576 worth saving that site,can save you a fortune :hyper: according to that,your brembo and the dtx brembo are the same?

have a looksie at this site mate... its what i've been using to cross reference parts for my build... i was told that the 1st part of any yamaha code is the model it 1st came from eg 3mb,3bn,4fu etc etc now if the last part number matches yours it will fit :jossun: thats how i knew the wr 200 and yz bits would fit mine... http://www.megazip.r.../178177#g178203 and http://www.megazip.r.../156569#g160576 worth saving that site,can save you a fortune :hyper: according to that,your brembo and the dtx brembo are the same?

hmmm no dont think so david, perhaps you were just lucky

thats like saying a DTR CDI #3mb-85540 will be good to use on a DT175 #2A7-85540, infact every yamaha out there will have 85540 for its CDI as that is the number for CDI, the key is the first letters and numbers

or am i misinterpreting you?

might be totally wrong lol but i 1st saw it on here in a post by yamagod (2009 ish) here's the link that was on that page http://www.johnnystoybox.com/yamaha_parts_cross-reference.htm it's defo worked for me with bearings,caliper brackets and the rear suspension. worth a size up anyhows....

Cheers Dave but i'll bet it won't show the 3sh model, the cmsl.com site i use misses it out 3sh completely, and aye deffo difference between the two brembos the TDR is for a floating 320mm disk, the DTX one has a floating bracket at the rear, mountings are different too, absolutely crazy huh? I reckon Merv may have helped some by putting me on to that TZR parts list.

Cheers Dave but i'll bet it won't show the 3sh model, the cmsl.com site i use misses it out 3sh completely, and aye deffo difference between the two brembos the TDR is for a floating 320mm disk, the DTX one has a floating bracket at the rear, mountings are different too, absolutely crazy huh? I reckon Merv may have helped some by putting me on to that TZR parts list.

have a look at member satellite1's bike, he has a TZR belgarda italian import but cant make out the caliper properly

thats like saying a DTR CDI #3mb-85540 will be good to use on a DT175 #2A7-85540, infact every yamaha out there will have 85540 for its CDI as that is the number for CDI, the key is the first letters and numbers

or am i misinterpreting you?

ahh i see what you mean now... maybe it only works for mechanical parts and not the electrical side then? it defo works for bearings etc,but maybe thats because they are parts bin sourced?

Aye ta Paul, good chance it may be same, been reading a fair bit about the yam stuff built under licence in Italy recently, tweaked them up good n proper, they did a dtr/tzr/tdr 125 sp engine good for 36-38bhp, 4dl stuff.

ahh i see what you mean now... maybe it only works for mechanical parts and not the electrical side then? it defo works for bearings etc,but maybe thats because they are parts bin sourced?

I doubt it works for mechanical parts either, take my fuel tank for example 2a6-24110

and a DT125X is 2n4-24110

not trying to do you down with this david but its the first letters that are key...24110 simply means fuel tank