My 1992 YAMAHA DT125R PROJECT

NEV
This post is 3117 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A good call for putting up a Project thread.Seeing as I picked up my frame and swingarm yesterday, I'll take advantage,and post my project up here for all to see, and hopefully it may help others who are thinking of starting their own project

As said earlier I just picked up my frame and swing arm from powdercoating yesterday, I just have a few more bits and bobs to sort out first i.e re-spraying tank,new wiring harness, and rear shock, then I can start getting on with the re-build.

This is how it used to look, up to a few weeks ago

dsci0658o.jpg

Yes it looks o.k but the plastics seem to hide a multitude of sins theres rust everywhere, plus all linkages were seized up after previous owners neglect to lubricate with grease.

After stripping everything right down and cleaning in a parafin bath, the frame and swingarm were in need of a good shotblast and powdercoating

dsci0691.jpg

dsci0693.jpg

dsci0692y.jpg

My shiney frame and swingarm

img0061okc.jpg

img0062ez.jpg

A little tip,

if you are sending any stuff for powdercoating try and use old screws/bolts to put into threads and cover up any places where there are bearings, with large penny washers, wood cutouts, and long bolts, otherwise you be tapping clean threads and reaming out bushes for a day or two,

Sorry but pinks not really my colour, 'Rover Tara Green'will be the new colour after a good clean and wirebrush

img0060en.jpg

Made my own spring clamp with 16mm threaded bar, some 8mmx 25mm flat bar, 8xm16 nuts, cable ties to hold together, a bit heath robinson but works, cost me about a fiver I reckon.

A cleaned and re-sprayed rear shock, looking much better than before.

shocka.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nev hope the project goes well,wish I had got mine powder coated looks great, I keep on chipping paint off but only cost £20 in paint, beggars cant be choosers I suppose :blink: I bet getting spring off was a bit scary, been there, why not stick a big jubilee clip/strangle band round for a bit more peace off mind when you stick it back.

all the best Phil

Hi Nev hope the project goes well,wish I had got mine powder coated looks great, I keep on chipping paint off but only cost £20 in paint, beggars cant be choosers I suppose :blink: I bet getting spring off was a bit scary, been there, why not stick a big jubilee clip/strangle band round for a bit more peace off mind when you stick it back.

all the best Phil

Cheers O.G and Phil, Phil, I know budgeting for yours may be a bit tight mate , but for something which you'll be keeping for a long time rather than just tickling up to sell on, I'd deffinately go for the powdercoating , even if it means putting back your project for a month or two while you get together the money for powdercoating,(£80 for the frame, £30 for swingarm) I've sprayed frames up myself, and it just isn't the same, with rust coming back through after a few months of the bike being out in all weathers.I'll take onboard your suggestion for jubilee clip/strangle band in putting spring back on btw, I've a mate with a 3" scar on the side of his head from a car spring "attacking" him.Plus I've a couple of carver clamps I'm going to use to hold it all.Right I'm off to get shock put back together, looking nice now all sprayed up and cleaned, hopefully I'll not put too many scratches on it getting it back together again.Pics are up on original thread.

The frame looks great. I wish I had completely stripped my bike, whilst I was rebuilding it. I might use it for now and in the winter strip it all and power coat the frame, it makes so much difference to the look of the finished bike.

The DEP exhaust was in need of a clean, as it had some rust, and pitting coming through,and a fair bit of road crud, mainly at the manifold end, being chrome it can't be treated too harshly, but with some T-cut and a wire brush wheel attatchment, I managed to get it from this.

img0036ik.jpg

img0037og.jpg

img0038piq.jpg

img0039lw.jpg

To this

img0041he.jpg

Will probably come up even more shiny, when buffed up with t-cut,

but I've sprayed it all over with ACF-50 protective oil, till it's

ready to be put back on again.

img0040w.jpg

Next job was the Aluminium DEP end box/silencer.

Finding that the baffle inside was broken into two pieces, one 4" one about 10" I've decided to shorten it, and make it into a 10" stubby, cleaned the baffle, as it was encrusted with about an 1/8th of solid carbon, baffle came up new after scraping and wirebrushing, fitted it back in, wrapped and packed up with new silencing material,

Wirebrushed the end can with wirebrush wheel drill attatchment, mainly to take the scratches and pitting out of it, comes up nice and clean but a matt finish.

depcutdown.jpg

Buffed up to a mirror finish, using a sheepskin buffer drill attachment, and T-Cut.

deppolished.jpg

WOW Nev you must be realy please with that result ,I would never have belived you would get the front pipe back to that, it looks like new :rolleyes: all the best.

Phil

The DEP exhaust was in need of a clean, as it had some rust, and pitting coming through,and a fair bit of road crud, mainly at the manifold end, being chrome it can't be treated too harshly, but with some T-cut and a wire brush wheel attatchment, I managed to get it from this.

img0036ik.jpg

img0037og.jpg

img0038piq.jpg

img0039lw.jpg

To this

img0041he.jpg

Will probably come up even more shiny, when buffed up with t-cut,

but I've sprayed it all over with ACF-50 protective oil, till it's

ready to be put back on again.

img0040w.jpg

Next job was the Aluminium DEP end box/silencer.

Finding that the baffle inside was broken into two pieces, one 4" one about 10" I've decided to shorten it, and make it into a 10" stubby, cleaned the baffle, as it was encrusted with about an 1/8th of solid carbon, baffle came up new after scraping and wirebrushing, fitted it back in, wrapped and packed up with new silencing material,

Wirebrushed the end can with wirebrush wheel drill attatchment, mainly to take the scratches and pitting out of it, comes up nice and clean but a matt finish.

depcutdown.jpg

I'll buff it up to a mirror finish, using a sheepskin buffer drill attachment, and T-Cut.Take pics later

Cheers Phil for the thumbs up mate,

Started to put some stuff on to the frame, to get an idea of the colour scheme, sprayed forks,and yokes, still waiting for the auto electrician to come back to me with a quote for the wiring loom, he rang the other day and told me he reckoned about 40 quid for just the wires, he's trying to source the terminals, and blocks etc, have put him on to a site on ebay that does Yamaha blocks and terminals kits.

An update on the frame

framerebuild.jpg

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/img0124ab.jpg/]img0124ab.jpg

img0133avi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Started on the wiring loom couple of days ago,cleaned and scrubbed it all down, then stripped it of all the wrapping tape, both from the outside, and also the inner junction, single crimps,it's all been cable tied, so as to keep where everything branches off the main loom. Then it's cable tied on to a 6ft piece of wood, just so as to keep it's full shape and size.

Have noted all the different colour wires, and roughly measured them, for future reference, also have mapped the wiring using Microsoft Paint, again so I can use it for future reference.

Ordered new terminals,various sizes of shrink wrap tubing, shrink wrap crimps for the inner wiring junctions,black cloth loom wrapping tape, and a few metres of 12mm cable tidy.

So heres where I am so far.

From this a filthy crud covered mess

img0095wv.jpg

To this stripped right down to the bare wiring

xloom1.jpg

The mapping I've done of the wiring so far, it's taken ages but well worth it in the long run wink.gif

afrontloomb.jpg

arearlooma.jpg

Started on the wiring loom couple of days ago,cleaned and scrubbed it all down, then stripped it of all the wrapping tape, both from the outside, and also the inner junction, single crimps,it's all been cable tied, so as to keep where everything branches off the main loom. Then it's cable tied on to a 6ft piece of wood, just so as to keep it's full shape and size.

Have noted all the different colour wires, and roughly measured them, for future reference, also have mapped the wiring using Microsoft Paint, again so I can use it for future reference.

Ordered new terminals,various sizes of shrink wrap tubing, shrink wrap crimps for the inner wiring junctions,black cloth loom wrapping tape, and a few metres of 12mm cable tidy.

So heres where I am so far.

From this a filthy crud covered mess

img0095wv.jpg

To this stripped right down to the bare wiring

xloom1.jpg

The mapping I've done of the wiring so far, takes ages but worth it in the long run ;)

homemadeloom.jpg

Nev all the effort your put in as got to be worth it ,your doing it right am sure ,it,s amasing how it got so cruudy in a few years, but suppose down to age group thats owned the bike before ,are you still off work then ?

Made a start on getting all the bushes and rollers out of the swing arm today. I've had them soaking in bags of coca-cola for about 4 days now.

83111083.jpg

Armed with a hammer, a round drift, 13/16" socket, and 3/8" extention bar, set about trying to drift the bushes and bearings out.

66060397.jpg

Starting on the inner bushes drifted them both out, so I can get a full run inside, with the socket on the two outer bearings.

33468677.jpg

52544572.jpg

Literally took me 5 minutes, infact not even that, to get all the bushes and bearings out, proof that the Coca-Cola trick does work then. DDT you might want to give this method a go on your swingarm bearings mate ;)

:thumb:B) Great alternative method you showed us there NEV

Cheers OG, it's one headache less I suppose, now to sort the loom out :rolleyes:

Cheers OG, it's one headache less I suppose, now to sort the loom out :rolleyes:

Like it Nev, your a scientist as well as a life guru.

ps .have you knicked my old ball pain and chisel LOL

Like it Nev, your a scientist as well as a life guru.

ps .have you knicked my old ball pain and chisel LOL

Ha,ha, aye, that's Fred, we've been together a few years now, infact I took pity on him couple of months ago, and put a new shaft on it ;)

Working for Babcocks german division, few years ago, one of their platers took a fancy to him, wanted to swap with his, noo way!!!, have ya ever seen the daft shape of their one's?

As for the coca-cola, it's an old trick we used to use on heat seized bolts and stuff on the boilers, if we'd got no Release All, and geez do they get some heat :blink:

looking good Nev" you"ve done miracle"s with that exhaust,,,:rolleyes: .. BY the way am kicking about Derby this weekend, if you see lots of two-strokes, be up Matlock way ...B) were camping at MFN...

Ha,ha, aye, that's Fred, we've been together a few years now, infact I took pity on him couple of months ago, and put a new shaft on it ;)

Working for Babcocks german division, few years ago, one of their platers took a fancy to him, wanted to swap with his, noo way!!!, have ya ever seen the daft shape of their one's?

As for the coca-cola, it's an old trick we used to use on heat seized bolts and stuff on the boilers, if we'd got no Release All, and geez do they get some heat :blink:

Just 1 question Nev is it the "real thing" you used or the cheap tescos stuff :lol:

Just 1 question Nev is it the "real thing" you used or the cheap tescos stuff :lol:

Lol, aye the real thing, and no namby pamby diet stuff either ;)

Right then, finished wrapping up the loom this morning, looking pretty decent if I may say so myself, OG that proper wrapping tape makes a big difference btw, smile.gif

I'll show it all in stages in this post, just incase somebody has bought a field bike that has had all it's wiring taken off, and fancies making up a loom themselves, so as to get the bike roadworthy again, (headlights, indicators, etc)but bear in mind this is all for a 1992 DT125R 3RN4 model, and other years, may have different wiring.But in principal it should be pretty much the same.

Started off with an oily, cruddy, road grime encased mess.

79594308.jpg

Stripped all the wrapping off and gave it a right good scrubbing, then cable tied it all on to a 6 foot plank, so as to keep everything in order, and in its original shape.

xloom1.jpg

Mapped it all down onto the comp, and labelled all the connections and terminals.

WIRING LOOM FRONT END

afrontloom.jpg

WIRING LOOM REAR LOOM

arearloomi.jpg

Many of the internal crimps had just been wrapped with tape, so using normal blue, and yellow (bigger, for multi wire connections)coded wire connectors, took the hard plastic off them, and used the crimp from the inside of it then covered back over with shrink tubing.

Replaced the all the terminals,mainly bullet connectors, wrapped the loom back up,and covered the tail end of the loom, where a fair bit of grime, comes up off the back wheel, with 13mm cable tidy, then sealed that with normal insulation tape.

95945345.jpg

So there it is, a brand spanking looking loom, cost roughly, £35 quid, wire would have probably been around an extra £20-£30, but I've saved about £100, as I was almost going to buy one blink.gif

Heres a bit of a shopping list, for anybody thinking of doing their own, and wants to know, whats needed, all parts can be gotten off e-bay if so wished.

Black 1.5mm cable: 5 metres

Dark Brown 1.5mm cable: 5 metres

Dark Green 1.5mm cable: 5 metres

Yellow/Red 1.5mm cable: 2 metres

Green/Yellow 1.5mm cable: 2 metres

Blue/Yellow 1.5mm cable: 2 metres

Blue/Red 1.5mm cable: 2 metres

Brown 1.5mm cable: 3 metres

White 1.5mm cable: 1 metre

Pink 1.5mm cable: 1 metre

Light Blue 1.5mm cable: 1 metre

Black/White 1.5mm cable: 1 metre

Green Red 1.5mm cable: 1 metre

Connectors and terminals

10 x Single female bullet

5 x Single male bullet

5 x Double female bullet

2 x Single female spade (flag)

1 x 2 way spade (6.3mm)block connector

3 x 2 way spade (2.8mm)block connector

2 x 3 way spade (2.8mm)block connector

1 x 4 way spade (6.3mm)block connector

2 x 4 way spade (2.8mm)block connector

2 x 6 way spade (2.8mm)block connector

This lot along with various sizes of shrink tubing, and proper adhesive cloth wrapping tape, plus 1 metre of 12-13mm cable tidy should about do it,

Hope this lot helps someone, who is maybe thinking of making up their own loom wink.gif

http://www.yamahaclu...-modifications/

• 2 weeks later...

Went to put on the new Renthal Twin Wall handlebars today, but came across a slight problem, the o/d of the bar is 28mm and the clamps on the top yoke are for a 22mm handlebar, but after a quick ebay shopping trip found some universal fat bar conversion clamps, cheers again OG ;)

img0135ab.jpg

Other than that little problem, :rolleyes: made some inroads with putting some other stuff on, part sprayed the new front mudguard with the metalic 'rover tara' green, seems to have come out o.k, and the bar grips were bought off ebay that colour, a cracking match, if I do say so myself.

img0140ad.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online