Voltage Regulator help

Michael
This post is 4783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After having removed seat and finding a black plastic bag under the fuse box, I wondered what that was. So I picked it up, but the cables kinda jumped out of the plug in the other end as it was just 3 wires hanging loosely in the plug.

So now I need some help to get it wired correctly back together as I'm a newbie to electrics :S

The voltage regulator has 3 connections with the letters E, F and I on them. I kinda think E means earth (ground or whatever), but I don't know about the 2 others.

From the bike theres a plug for the voltage regulator with the wires black, brown and green. So the question is, which connection goes to which wire?

Will just post links instead of the pictures, as they would take up a lot of space in the thread.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After having removed seat and finding a black plastic bag under the fuse box, I wondered what that was. So I picked it up, but the cables kinda jumped out of the plug in the other end as it was just 3 wires hanging loosely in the plug.

So now I need some help to get it wired correctly back together as I'm a newbie to electrics :S

The voltage regulator has 3 connections with the letters E, F and I on them. I kinda think E means earth (ground or whatever), but I don't know about the 2 others.

From the bike theres a plug for the voltage regulator with the wires black, brown and green. So the question is, which connection goes to which wire?

Will just post links instead of the pictures, as they would take up a lot of space in the thread.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

I don't have that regulator but the wiring diagram says;

earth brown then green in that order hope that helps

Hmm.. What is the worst thing that can happen if it fails?

According to this picture, which I guess is an original part, it is earth green and what I would guess, in my case, brown?

This is a common regulator fitted to many japanese bikes of the 70's My Honda 400/4 has an identical one and so did my other Hondas.

It's called a Pointless regulator in that its solid state, no moving parts!

The colour code is GREEN for EARTH , WHITE to the ALTERNATOR and BLACK from the LIGHTS Circuit.

As long as you connect your EARTH (whatever colour YOURS is) to the GREEN terminal you won't go far wrong.

If you're interested it opens and closes rapidly inside which creates a resistance in the alternator field coil thereby reducing its output...stops your lights blowing!

Hope this helps.

I was certain that the green was earth otherwise.

You seem to know it, so I'll stick to this information.

Thanks a bunch :D

E stands for EARTH

F stands for FIELD

I is for IGNITION / LIGHTS

Regulators protect lights and stop batteries from frying. B)

Aha, that cleared up the questions about the letters.

I kind of figured out that E was for earth,, but had no idea with the F. My best guess for I was indicators - as in lights and such :)

But it was better to be sure than just go for a guess when people know this kind of stuff :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online