Running cold

Racc
This post is 4710 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my yzf750r is running cold, just over 60 Celsius (at the bottom of the gauge) when moving, goes up when stood/slow moving, I have changed the thermostat (second hand) still running at about 60c, I have tested the original stat and it opens up with boiling water and starts to close after 2mins, fully closed within 7mins, would anything else cause it to run cold ? Any help welcome

Thanks

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you say it is fully closed after 7 mins is that with it still in hot water or after you take it out? I have just tested a spare new thermostat I have for my RD350LC2 that opens at 71c and after you take it out of the hot water it is closed within 1 minute .The other thing to check when it is closed look around the valve in the centre and make sure you can't see a gap .Tony

Hi, tested with the thermostat in the water all the time, the stat closes after 7mins if left,, if I add cold water it closes straight away, the temp stamped on the stat is 71c which it seem to be working ok ?

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

Still can't work it out, brand new thermostat (genuine) and still running cold, just over 60c on long straights goes up to 80c when stood/moving slow then cools down when moving again, fans come in at correct temp when stood ticking over

Any help welcome

Thanks

Steve

Its running perfect i think mysel

Thats what its supposed to do.

Ok, mabey its running every so slighty cool when your on the move but thats because there's plenty of air getting to it. The temp will always rise when your stoped but again your fan is kicking in like its supposed to,,,,,,it draws air through your ran to help cool the coolant and hence cool the engine. Start moving again and the fan eventually turns off as its not needed because of normal air flowing through your rad.

I wouldnt be worring about it. Be 10 times worse if it was the other way round.

Normal operating temp is Half way on the guage,,,,,,,,stoped it rises above,,,,,,,,,moving in drops below.

;)

Thanks for the reply but half way on the gauge is about 80, the gauge starts at 60 and it runs on/just off the bottom of the gauge when moving, still seems to be running cold to me, all the bikes I have had run like you say in the middle

Well thermastat seems to be working fine.

Fan seems to be working fine.

Bike isnt overheating so thats fine.

Only thing you could check is the tempature switch and the guage its self.

Make sure the temp switch has a good clean electrical conection and that it isnt cloged up on the inside,,,,,,,have to take it out to check

Dont know how ya would check the guage for correct working !

Hope This Helps