Yamaha DT 125 Starrting problem

algaib
This post is 4786 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had a DT 125 in storage for a few years. Of course it didn't start.

I cleaned out the petrol tank which was full of debris; rust I guess. The filter on the tap is also now clean.

I put some petrol in the spark plug hole, connected it to another bike's battery to jump start it. It whent for a second or two, but as soon as the fuel I injected burned, the engine stopped. I tried to bump start it a few times; no joy. But then it suddenly did start and it ran for a few seconds and shot out plumes of white smoke. This happened a few times, but always stopped after a few seconds. I would guess that the fuel isn't going from the carb to the spark plug properly. Any ideas?

Also, do you need the battery for it to run? Because the one on it is shot.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Expecting a bike to start after a few years of storage is a bit optimistic.

Its surprising how the damp penetrates everything and old petrol literally gums up the works! :huh:

Over time stale petrol will lose its ginger and if left in carbs even for a few months it starts to coat the workings with a shellac type varnish. Its a bugger to get off but cleaning all the fuel lines and ways is essential. Spark plugs seem to absorb damp, and so does the HT side of things. Spraying WD40 over everything does help, but I'm afraid if its been a few years since it last started you've got a bit of work to do.

However, stick to it once you've got her all cleaned and dry with new petrol, you stand a better chance of starting the ol' girl.... B)

Turned out that the float valve in the carb was stuck from the residue of old petrol

So I guess a 'thank you' would be in order. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online