DT175MX

Nick60
This post is 4779 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

The sun is shining and I need advice to get me back on the trail.

I'm just about to put the top end back together after a rebore. Everything is great but I have noticed that one of the two "spacers" on the right hand barrel studs is missing. Don't know why I didn't notice it before but it must have been missing when I got the bike as I certainly didn't loose it.

Can I reassemble the barrel without it ( there is some movement when I put the barrel in place ) or is this part of the reason for the partial seizure that happened before I got the bike.

Until I stripped the top end the bike was running quite well, Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Nick, in sunny Bulgaria.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you are referring to the locating dowel part # 91810-16016

I wouldnt use the bike myself unless both are fitted, is there ANY possibility it has dropped into the crank case? thats a worry too :unsure: Thats why rags should be shoved in there when removing and re fitting the barrel, until there is just enough room to get them out.

if your 100% sure the locating dowles havnt droped into the crank case they are easy enough to make up :D i made one out of a bit of brass pipeing i had lying around just be sure there a snug fit :) hope this helps. Stockers

I think you are referring to the locating dowel part # 91810-16016

I wouldnt use the bike myself unless both are fitted, is there ANY possibility it has dropped into the crank case? thats a worry too :unsure: Thats why rags should be shoved in there when removing and re fitting the barrel, until there is just enough room to get them out.

Thanks old boy ( can't bring myself to call you "old git" when you're so helpful :D )

I think we're speaking about the same part, a "tube" around the barrel stud, two of them, both on the right side crankcase, the base gasket holes are larger to accommodate?

I'm 100% sure I didn't drop in into the cases, rags in place and anyway the groove it should sit in is full of gunge.

I'll try to get a new one or get something made up. Cheers for the advice.

Nick.

if your 100% sure the locating dowles havnt droped into the crank case they are easy enough to make up :D i made one out of a bit of brass pipeing i had lying around just be sure there a snug fit :) hope this helps. Stockers

Top man Stockers, thank you for the idea. It'll save me waiting for ages for the post to arrive.

All the best from Bulgaria :)

Were they located in the barrel when you took it off, if so did the people who did the rebore take them out ? Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. No, I am certain that the missing dowel was missing when I stripped the barrel off.

My question was not about where it's gone but whether I should re-fit the barrel with a missing dowel.

The engine had partially seized before I bought the bike and I'm wondering whether the barrel might have been slightly

mis-aligned because of the missing dowel and whether that might have had something to do with the seizure. General consensus is

that I'd be nuts to rebuild without the dowel anyway, so no further doubt.... buy or make a new dowel. Job sorted.

Hope to be back on the road/trail over the weekend, after checking oil pump settings of course.

Thanks to all for their answers.

All the best,

Nick.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online