R6 turns over but won start after replacing battery

R46Paul
This post is 4783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I have a 2005 R6 (R46) Rossi rep. The bike was garaged over winter with the battery plugged into a conditioner. I started using it a few weeks ago however the battery (6 years old) did not hold a charge for very long, and if I didn't ride it for a few days it went flat.

I disconnected the old battery and replaced it with a brand new one (Yuasa YT9B-BS) as recommended by my Yamaha dealer. The battery was charged for 24 hours.

I went to use the bike this morning and the alarm deactivated as normal, the lights, dials etc would power up, I could hear the fuel pump priming and the bike turned over quickly. The only problem is that it wouldn't fire up! I tried turning it over a few times with no luck, it just wouldn't start. I could smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust.

Before I replaced the battery (when it wasn't flat) the bike started with no problems.

It has a Meta M357t alarm and Immobiliser fitted.

Can anyone please shed some light on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

I have a 2005 R6 (R46) Rossi rep. The bike was garaged over winter with the battery plugged into a conditioner. I started using it a few weeks ago however the battery (6 years old) did not hold a charge for very long, and if I didn't ride it for a few days it went flat.

I disconnected the old battery and replaced it with a brand new one (Yuasa YT9B-BS) as recommended by my Yamaha dealer. The battery was charged for 24 hours.

I went to use the bike this morning and the alarm deactivated as normal, the lights, dials etc would power up, I could hear the fuel pump priming and the bike turned over quickly. The only problem is that it wouldn't fire up! I tried turning it over a few times with no luck, it just wouldn't start. I could smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust.

Before I replaced the battery (when it wasn't flat) the bike started with no problems.

It has a Meta M357t alarm and Immobiliser fitted.

Can anyone please shed some light on what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Paul

It sounds like the battery is probably okay, but have you checked the voltage? Another possibility may be the plugs, how old are they?

If its been sat for a while the plugs like John says, take em out and clean them :mellow: