Riding a XVS 125 Dragstar

Vadkutya
This post is 4775 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Girls/Guys,

I thought we could share our experiences about long rides on a XVS 125... it could be useful for everybody to know how these machines perform on a longer ride. I would like to make some journeys along the south coast of England and being new to this bike, I would like to know if it is actually built for this purpose or not :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

it should do it if you take it steady....and make sure the oil is in good nick (say a week after a oil change)

You should be fine. Try to keep off motorways, it should run nicely at 50 to 60mph all day. Aim to fill the tank up at around every 120 miles. Because its air cooled, switch the engine off if you get stuck in traffic jams etc

Hope you have a good trip B)

Thanks Guys,

I've actually started off to go to Cornwall this weekend, but the noise coming from the engine just killed my enthusiasm around Weymouth. I don't really know if the sound I'm hearing is normal or maybe there is something wrong with it. I've checked everything and thanks to you, neversaydie, I have a bit more knowledge about this bike. Although I think I will go to a mechanic with years of experience in this and let him listen to the engine.

I would like to know if it is actually built for this purpose or not :)

You're asking if a Cruiser is built for long-distance cruising??!!

Oh my me, YES!!!

I did Reading to Cornwall on my 125 Drag. Brilliant fun!!

70+mph all the way, regular stops and refuels, loads of adventure, great riding roads and then home a week later.

Long periods in the saddle will cramp you up a bit, especially if you're tall or long limbed, but that's what regular stops are for!

You're asking if a Cruiser is built for long-distance cruising??!!

Oh my me, YES!!!

I did Reading to Cornwall on my 125 Drag. Brilliant fun!!

70+mph all the way, regular stops and refuels, loads of adventure, great riding roads and then home a week later.

Long periods in the saddle will cramp you up a bit, especially if you're tall or long limbed, but that's what regular stops are for!

Oh yes, I have to admit... it was a stupid question :) What are you using a cruiser for?! For cruising of course :)

My only concern was that these bikes with the small engine are not suited properly for long rides on high speeds abocve 60-70 mph. My bike is a bit noisy, but today at the cruiser workshop the guy assured me that everything is working fine, all the noises are normal for this type of bikes (V-twin engined).

So... this weekend, I eventually get to Cornwall if the weather is good :)

Oh yes, I have to admit... it was a stupid question :) What are you using a cruiser for?! For cruising of course :)

My only concern was that these bikes with the small engine are not suited properly for long rides on high speeds abocve 60-70 mph. My bike is a bit noisy, but today at the cruiser workshop the guy assured me that everything is working fine, all the noises are normal for this type of bikes (V-twin engined).

So... this weekend, I eventually get to Cornwall if the weather is good :)

Your guy at the cruiser workshop is right. The SVS 125 engine is noisy. Mine is. I know exactly what you mean and can be very off putting when you ride long distances. Two 8 mm holes on each exhaust helps to take your mind away from the engine noise lol. Search here for a topic regarding alterations to front and back sprockets if you want to make your bike smother. I did it and believe me was the best improvement I did on my bike

If your Drag is revving noisy between 60 and 70, then I suggest changing up to 5th gear.

If it's still racing, then something needs adjusting. 5th on a 125 Drag just eases the revs and allows for gentler consistent cruising and should not be full of rev.

I'm planning a fairly long ride (70 miles ish) on my XV125 Virago from Harwich (east of essex) to see some friends up in Norwich this Sunday. I'm a relatively new rider, been on the road a couple of months or so, but this thread has inspired some confidence at least.

How often should I stop to let the engine cool down? as I'm a bit nervous about overheating or burning anything out since it is a little bike. Any good advice for me before I undertake this?

Cheers,

Miguel

You should not need to stop for the engine to cool down.

It's air-cooled, which means so long as you are moving in the 30-60mph range, it will be perfectly fine.

Only times you should be overheating is when stationary with the engine running for long periods, or if you rev the nuts off and go everywhere at top speed.

70 miles is merely a good run out and one you'll soon find yourself able to manage in one hit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online