Motorcycle tyre information.

Joshua2
This post is 4827 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

No, I dont mean taking it out for a few pints and a meal. :P

Ive been riding various bikes for a few months ;) and only recently found out that tyres are dated. :o On the side wall should be four digit number (three digit on pre year 2000 tyres). This number denotes the week and year it was made. For example '0510' would mean that that particular tyre was made in week 5 of 2010. RoSPA say stored tyres shouldn't be used if they are over 6 years old from date they were made.

This info may be of use the next time your buying tyres. If you do have a choice pick the younger tyre.

HTH

Joshua 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When i bought my DT125 it had the origional tyres on it that were put on in the factory.

The date on the tyre matches the date of the bike when it was made

It still has the origional front tyre on it.

Thats a good tip about buying new tyres though,,,,,,,,lads might just think,,,,,,sur i have a new tyre,,,,,,,,when in reality the tyre might be a few years old

• 2 weeks later...

Hi from Bulgaria,

I don't know if this applies elswhere but if an accident or an insurance claim involves tyres in Bulgaria, the date of manufacture is taken into consideration, regardless of the apparent condition of the tyre. So having an old but unworn tyre can still be used against you if it is considered to have contributed to the accident. Might be worth checking where ever you live.

Nick.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online