xvs 125 warm up time

dan28
This post is 4837 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

when i start my xvs it takes approx 5 minutes for the engine to become warm enough for it to be rode

if i try pushing the choke in it wont rev until the engine has warmed up

its using an aftermarket choke an cable

is this normal leaving it warming up for 5 mins at 6am annoys everyone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Personaly , I would not ride a bike especially 4 a stroke until it has warmed up & normaly when cold I do for more than 5 mins , sod the neighbours . Riding from stone cold will not do the motor any good .

And if it's running ok after 5 mins, I would leave it as it is :unsure:

Just to muddy the water...

Ever since I've owned a bike I've been told by every mechanic and dealer not to worry about warming it up before riding - they all said the same thing that modern bikes don't need warming up like they did 20 years ago. Just take it easy for the first few miles or so before you go mad. Theory behind it is that if you go gentle and don't rev the tits off it you build up heat quicker in the engine and it does less wear than letting it idle too long (guess its like tyres too ie warm them up before going mad).

[Funnily enough my last car dealer told me the same thing - idling to warm up puts more wear on the engine]

I always start the bike with the choke on and ride off straight away at a gentle pace. Once I get to a set of traffic lights a few miles away from my house I normally turn the choke off as the engine has warmed up and it runs fine.

+1 to clarke, idling for long periods when cold is not good for any engine, plugs especially can foul and the extra fuel from the choke can wash the bores. I just take it gentle for a while, like a mile or two.

Also if i spent 5 minutes warming a 30 year old 2 stroke with a sports pipe at 4am in the morning there would be an old school linching i recon :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online