78' dt125 clutch issues

clank444
This post is 4849 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just worry about there being too much oil in the case and that it may foam like in a car engine when you overfill the oil. My bike has had the same oil in it for about 15 years so its about time for a change anyway. Hopefully I can get the oil pump on today and fill it with 2 stroke oil to take it for a ride today. we will see.

Now when I pull in the clutch lever all the way the clutch works but you can still feel the engine and gear plates move on each other since its not as smooth to roll around with the clutch lever pulled in as the bike is to roll around in neutral. could this be due to the 32 year old clutch cable being worn out and stretched? When I adjust all the free play out of the cable it makes no difference in the feel of the bike rolling.

It will never feel as free as it does when it is in neutral .

Just open the oil drain and let a little out till your near the propper level,,,,,,,,a short spin wont harm it,,,,,,,but dont leave it overfull long as it puts pressure on all your seals.

Make sure you bleed the oil pump fully before you put any high revs on the engine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright I will be sure to bleed the oil pump, speaking of the oil pump, is the hose that goes from the pump to the carb special? I mean is it a odd diameter? Does it resist oil better than regular hose? or will regular hose work just fine as a replacement if I happen to tear mine when removing the oil pump?

Alright I will be sure to bleed the oil pump, speaking of the oil pump, is the hose that goes from the pump to the carb special? I mean is it a odd diameter? Does it resist oil better than regular hose? or will regular hose work just fine as a replacement if I happen to tear mine when removing the oil pump?

youre not removing the oil pump! just the tube where it connects onto the carb.

I dont know whether the tube is special or whether any other tube will do, consideration has to be given to what affect high temperature (summer riding) with have on any replacement tube...will it soften and become loose on the spigots?

I buy stuff made for the job.

As a tip though if you have a hot air gun, just warm the end of the tube and dont pull it that never works but get behind it with a small screwdriver and work your way round forcing it off with the driver.

Thanks for the info, I removed the oil pump because I needed to get to one of the case screws behind it and the attack driver I was using couldn't seat properly with the pump in the way so I had to remove it.

Well I found out I messed up the kickstarter gear when the case cover was off. the oil is draining currently to look into whats wrong, is there anything important or special about how the kick starter gear goes into the case? The gear that goes into the oil pump is being problematic, does it slide into the pump or do I need to rotate it into position somehow?

not enough info on the kick starter to comment, did you locate the spring correctly?

I would sort the kicker out and replace the cover, then you can remove the spark plug and turn over the engine while you gently try to re-fit the pump. Dont force anything!

Tomorrow ;)

Aagh its been a long time since i did it, I think you turn the end of the spring clockwise and then depending on the set up, either you will see a suitable hollow in the casting perimeter to drop the bent end of the spring into (underneath and toward the rear)...or there will be a peg to hook the spring around

I put the kicker back in correctly and I can only say that it was quit the difficult task and needs to be avoided in all cases. I reattached the oil pump with the case cover still off and while screwing it into I had a mysterious washer fall and hit the floor. All work stopped at once to find the home of this washer and I am stumped since it has no oil on it yet I believe it fell out of the crank case cover. I would have posted the picture I have of it yet putting a image in a post seems to be quite the odd thing to do.

I put the kicker back in correctly and I can only say that it was quit the difficult task and needs to be avoided in all cases. I reattached the oil pump with the case cover still off and while screwing it into I had a mysterious washer fall and hit the floor. All work stopped at once to find the home of this washer and I am stumped since it has no oil on it yet I believe it fell out of the crank case cover. I would have posted the picture I have of it yet putting a image in a post seems to be quite the odd thing to do.

For pictures see FAQ's in the 'Noobs' forum

It has been a few days since I mentioned the bikes progress. I found where that washer that flew out of my engine went, its the washer that goes between the tachometer gear and the case cover. I spent the last few days fixing up a set of blinkers for the bike and it amazes me how weather proof these blinkers are with their many rubber grommets and gaskets.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online