sick little dragstar

dragstardave
This post is 4897 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi i need some advice on a problem with my 650 dragstar the battery runs flat when i use my lights its got a new battery and a new reg rectifier i thought it was one or the other but no i still have the same problem any ideas on what it could be

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Heya Dave.

OK, first point - Always check (or replace) the cheapest parts first.

First thing to do is check you're getting charge.

Check the voltage with ignition off, engine running and then engine revving. That may indicate whether the battery or reg/rec is at fault. It could also be the generator - Now this is where I fall down as electrics is not my strong suit - One of the coils may have gone in the generator, which could be an expensive replace.

But, check all your connections - Quite probably, you have a faulty connection or a bad earth somewhere.

Do you have any electric accessories attached?

Heated grips?

SatNav?

not very good at geek stuff but if you go to "electrex world" and then go to the "technical" section, then click on regulator/rectifiers, you will have a step by step guide to battery charging probs.Site also shows step by step guides to resolving other problems and fitting other electrical products.