xvs 125 do highway hawk fit??

Teague
This post is 4849 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, ive recently bought myself a dragstar125 and love it but want to make it loud! now highway hawk seem to be the only otpion but im unsure as to if the slip ons would fit my bike and how would i go about fitting them..any help would be greatly appreciated as this is dfoing my head in!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unbolt the old ones, bolt on the new.

Another trick is to drill the existing exhaust backplate.

Personally, I always advise against modding 125s, unless you're going to keep it - It devalues the bike when you sell it on and move up to a big bike.

may not devalue it - but probably wouldn't get your return back...

I've got mine drilled (came like it) and it's easily much louder than the stock. Highway, however, done make ones for the xvs125 any more - unfortunately. You can get a slip on muffler, but you'll need to be good with a welder to remove the balance pipe (which, rather annoyingly, links the top downpipe to the bottom muffler....

I'd stick to drilling. Also, why don't yous pop over to the bar to introduce yerself?

Chris

may not devalue it - but probably wouldn't get your return back...

I've got mine drilled (came like it) and it's easily much louder than the stock. Highway, however, done make ones for the xvs125 any more - unfortunately. You can get a slip on muffler, but you'll need to be good with a welder to remove the balance pipe (which, rather annoyingly, links the top downpipe to the bottom muffler....

I'd stick to drilling. Also, why don't yous pop over to the bar to introduce yerself?

Chris

cheers for the advice, where abouts do i drill to make a better sound?

The exhaust backplate.

Anywhere between 2 and 6 holes is the norm, although some drill entire crescents out.

IMG_3305.jpg

look where the smaller pipe goes inside the bigger pipe. Pretty much there is a bit that joins them sunk into the big pipe about an inch in.

Anyway, on that bit that joins them, drill some holes (about as wide as a pencil) around the smaller pipe - on both upper and lower exhaust systems. It's simple, and improves the sound.

:)

Bear in mind that the plate is convex so you need to start with a 3mm bit just to get the first hole.

I did two 3mm holes in each exhaust and then increased to 6 mm. A month later I increased each hole to 8mm and I'm planing a third 6 mm on each exhaust.

Two 8mm holes in each exhaust is not that loud at all when idling, just deeper sound.

At full throttle still quieter than a 2 stroke but nicer.

I have the hawks on but as far as I know they don't make them anymore.spotted some on gumtree the other week.might be worth having a look.

can i buy yours please :P they seem to be like golddust

Before I fit the hawks I tried the 6 hole drill in the end can. It makes a slight differance but not the change I wanted .There is another alternative you'll need 2 circular metal saws to go on the end of your drill and a stick. The process is very simple you have to drill round the small exit hole in the middle of the exhaust and do the same with the bigger saw round the outer rim of the plate (just where it starts to curve) this ones a bit tricky as drilling on a slight angle.patience is a must for this take it slow , ideally you want to remove the plate so its like a pineapple ring if that makes sense. After you have done this your left with the outer exhaust shell and the pea shooter inner where the gas comes out.find yourself a rod/stick that is close to the diameter of the inner pea shooter pipe and push it down till it can't go any further.then take time gently wiggling the stick in all directions softning the weld . When it soft enough move the stick round and round and eventually the inner will come off.and hey presto your bike will be putt putting like a v_twin should.now bear in mind the exhaust for the xvs is a very expensive bit of kit as for performance I really can't say what differance it will make. Also for MOT is just up to the tester really,there are no emmisions tests for bikes and it can only fail if the bike is deemed abnormally louder than usual.but its a cruiser and genrally we get away with a lot more noise than other bikes in my expeirience .example I fit the hawks straight through and it passed even though I wanted it baffled just too loud.if I where you I'd have a look on all the sites ebay gumtree etc.I picked my pipes up for 35 quid , so there are deals out there just keep on looking mate.

I picked my pipes up for 35 quid , so there are deals out there just keep on looking mate.

35 QUID!!!! for a set of hawks!!! u lucky son of a ...... <_<

Forgot to say bought some black dragbars stay tuned for pics .

ur gonna need some 3 inch risers, two 12mm diameter by 3-4 inch bolts and two 1 inch diameter washers m8! and a 12mm drill bit! got some on the bobber project but had to get some 4 inch risers cause the controls hit the tank.......but all the risers have 12mm bolt holes and the risers on the dragstar have a 10mm hole! so iv drilled out the holes on the yoke to 12mm to accommodate the risers then put the washers on top then the risers.

sorted it out lovely m8.

Paul you are both a blessing and a curse ! Lol. I was thinking I'd need risers but I mocked the shape of the bar there 30 inch long , 10 in the centre and angled off at the ends obv also 10 inch . It looks as though I could mabye get away with them.mabye just touching on full lock.if not I'll be requiring your infinite knowledge mate.thanks again for the work manual.and teague I work nights so I'll troll the web for u and c if I can get u some pipes on the cheap mate.

Paul you are both a blessing and a curse ! Lol. I was thinking I'd need risers but I mocked the shape of the bar there 30 inch long , 10 in the centre and angled off at the ends obv also 10 inch . It looks as though I could mabye get away with them.mabye just touching on full lock.if not I'll be requiring your infinite knowledge mate.thanks again for the work manual.and teague I work nights so I'll troll the web for u and c if I can get u some pipes on the cheap mate.

thanks pal

.maybe just touching on full lock.

on mine.... :lol: ....... without the risers they touched about 2cm before full lock (which is allot!)... :huh: and i think mine are the same My link you could get away with it if you turned the controls round....but then you would need to be a contortionist to use them lol. suppose if you didnt mind gettin cramp you could turn the bars up slightly. but try them for size 1st you might get away with it :D

.maybe just touching on full lock.

on mine without the risers they touched about 2cm before full lock (which is allot!)... :huh: and i think mine are the same My link you could get away with it if you turned the controls round....but then you would need to be a contortionist to use them lol. suppose if you didnt mind gettin cramp you could turn the bars up slightly. but try them for size 1st you might get away with it :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online