Parallel imports, restricted motors

wilchop
This post is 4915 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All!

Just joined as I have purchased a 2007 R1 with 1500km's on the clock...have not taken possession or signed for anything yet!!!

The bike was bought from a parallel importer/dealer in Johannesburg, I have been warned that it could possibly be an engine restricted model...especially if it comes from California. The bike definitely comes from the States...but where exactly in the States who knows?

I have been guaranteed from the dealer (large and reputable) that it is not a restricted model and not from California...but an angel on my shoulder is saying "are you sure?"

Can anyone help me with what I should look for? I have heard stories about black motors and silver motors etc and that South Africa should have silver motors (which are full power motors?)

Herewith the VIN No. JYARN20E07A004842, I have not been able to find out where the bike comes from, other than it is a Yamaha R1, produced in Asia, Japan to be more specific, but that doesn't help cause they all come from there!

I don't want to make a huge mistake.

Regards,

Graeme aka Wilchop,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.