Cast/Mag wheel fitting

MidnightMadness
This post is 5038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello fellow yamaha owners. I am in the hunt for a set of solid wheels that will fit my bike. I have an '05 xvs 1100 midnight custom. The rear wheel is 15 inches, and the front 18.

I have been looking on the web for quite some time now and cannot find an answer for my model.. It's getting frustrating.

I am tired of cleaning between the spokes. I am tired of replacing tires every 5-6000 miles.

Yesterday I converted over to the darkside. The tire was a real bear to put on the stock rim. But got it beaded up after some fiddling and nail biting tire inflation. Took it on a spin for a couple hours and no problems..

Today when I woke up the tire was flat. The tube is damaged. I am sick of the hassle. Anyone with any knowledge on this subject please help with some sort of direction.

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Midnightmadness,

Sorry to hear of your troubles on the Darkside... you may find this useful http://forums.delphiforums.com/vstar1300/messages/?msg=2550.1

(not gone to the Darkside myself)

As for wheels: http://www.sscustomcycle.com/products/wheels/v-star1100.shtml - US website, they look good but seem to cost a bit, it's worth emailing Shane at SS as he's friendly + quick to reply.

Failing that, have a look at the other cruisers available that have cast wheels (Yammy's 950 + 1300 do as does Kawa's 1700, specs on their websites) - its possible they might fit, but it may end up being a trip to the dealer?

Hopefully someone else may have some other suggestions for you?

Good luck

Graham

Drag tyres are indeed tubed.

Tubeless... maybe. You'd need different wheels though, as the rims are different.

6000 miles sounds like quite a shite lifespan for a Cruiser tyre. I'd expect that from hi-performance Sporties, but not Cruisers... I ride pretty hard and average about 19,000 on my tyres.

I'd say something is definitely wrong, there.

Thanks for the links Graham. I am "thinking" about doing a used wheel if I could find one I knew was going to fit. So you're saying those bikes you listed used the same wheel size? Hmmm..

Peter, you can go tubeless on a spoked wheel, but it's going to be a process of sealing the wheel. I have done some research on this and I might just have to try it and see if I am successful. The only thing I am not happy about is keeping those spokes, but, I will sacrifice if I can save the money on the rear skin.

TMaster, seriously 19,000??? What are you using? I have tried several tires since 30K miles ago, and to no avail, they all seem to wear at the same rate. When I bought the bike (slighty used) it didn't have the OEM dunlops on it. That rear went quick! I tried a few others and the same. SO, the last tire I had put on was the OEM Dunlop. This was in hopes of better tire life. It seemed as though the Dunlop wore faster! So far I am lucky to get 6K on that rear.

thanks for the info. Good that i didn't buy the "tire repair kit" last week.... i can see myself trying to fix a flat with a tubeless repair kit, not knowing there's a tube inside lol.

TMaster, seriously 19,000??? What are you using?

I swear by Avon Venoms, mate. Front and rear.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online