xs360 fast idle? please help... cant figure out...

spacemanps
This post is 5017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzwJeLWlME

1976 Yamaha xs360... if you listen, you will hear the bike idle fine, but once you rev it a little bit, it will keep going and just sit at about 3-4 rpm. You have to use the kill switch to slow it down to a normal idle.

Just so you know, its not the throttle cable (checked).

thanks for any help!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1976 Yamaha xs360... if you listen, you will hear the bike idle fine, but once you rev it a little bit, it will keep going and just sit at about 3-4 rpm. You have to use the kill switch to slow it down to a normal idle.

Just so you know, its not the throttle cable (checked).

thanks for any help!!

:ssst: if you did a forum search, you would find out that the carb mix is lean. been mentioned many many times before!!

Yep- lean. Turn the screws in to a light seat, then turn them out 3.5 turns and adjust from there. Yes, I know the factory manual says 1.5 turns....I don't know what they were smoking- 3.5 to start.

okay thanks guys, i will test it out tonight.. keepin my fingers crosses... a friend thought it was the timing advance...

Also, make sure you don't have your idle screw turned in too much. That will also cause the throttle to stick at higher revs.

temp solution was the 3.5 turn on the low speed mixture screw. But after riding 30 min riding, idle started to be too low.. so when i raised(idle) it the problem came back.

guessing i need bigger low speed jets? because 3.5 turns helped a bit but not enough (the rpm would stay high but drop slowly down)

Background info- i just changed the stock air box's to pod filters.

Current jets:

Low- 15

high- 135

Opinion jets needed:??

Low- 20

high-140

bump for input...

pull the carb's clean'm real good and go up 1 size on the jet's . reseal the intake manifold's to the head's to make shure you don't have any leak's there . re-install the carb's and sync them up and go from there ... ;)

pull the carb's clean'm real good and go up 1 size on the jet's . reseal the intake manifold's to the head's to make shure you don't have any leak's there . re-install the carb's and sync them up and go from there ... ;)

i went up a bit more than one size but i hope it will end up working out..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online