XS400 Carb Compatability

akamor
This post is 5044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I am going to purchase a new carburetor for my XS400 because one of the posts supporting the float pin has broken off. I found someone with an old carburetor they are willing to sell. All they can tell me is that the carburetor is for a 1980 XS360/400 Twin. My specific bike is a 1980 XS400G with vin number 3F8. I have not heard of the Twin model, does he perhaps mean a twin carb? Does anyone know if all XS model bikes in 1980 used the same carburetor?

Thanks,

Adam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

all xs400's use a mikuni bs34 carbs, but there are differencs due to emmisions legislation over time. you can get a set of carbs from another 400 to fit yours, I have fitted soem dohc carbs to my tracker with a little modding (the dohc's are narrower)

twin means 2 cyl engine

all xs400's use a mikuni bs34 carbs, but there are differencs due to emmisions legislation over time. you can get a set of carbs from another 400 to fit yours, I have fitted soem dohc carbs to my tracker with a little modding (the dohc's are narrower)

twin means 2 cyl engine

Great, thanks. Does this apply to XS400 Special carburetors as well? I have a 1980 XS400 Standard and I found some really cheap carburetors for a 1981 XS400 Special. I wanted to make sure they worked before I spent the money. I was really trying to avoid having to do any modifications besides tuning.

Thanks,

Adam

Great, thanks. Does this apply to XS400 Special carburetors as well? I have a 1980 XS400 Standard and I found some really cheap carburetors for a 1981 XS400 Special. I wanted to make sure they worked before I spent the money. I was really trying to avoid having to do any modifications besides tuning.

Thanks,

Adam

Yes, those will work for you. The 1981 Special has an SOHC engine, and Mikuni BS34 carbs.