Need Electrical advise

LonnieD
This post is 5053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Have an 82 XS650 specoal.. I rode it down the street (frist time she's been out for awhile) I drove up and parked it. Went inside and came back after a few and noticed I had left the headlight so I turned it off. I came out to start it and there is no power to the starter button, headlights or neutral light. The turn signals work, tail light and horn...I tracked as many wires that I could and see nothing, no bare wires and no in-line fuse...the battery is fully charged...its as if the electrical is torn in half...some systems work some don't. It's like I blew some hidden fuse someplace. Ideas??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How do you know that the battery is fully charged?

well just had it running, beofre this abrupt situation occured. It was working just fine, if it was low it would at least try and start (at least click or something)...the rear lights come on strong, horn honks and I placed it on a charger until it showed it was fully charged. Any other suggestions?

Have you checked the fuses to make sure none has blown. Also put the key in the ignition and try wiggling it in the switch incase the switch is worn. Tony.

Yup done all of those, I can generally tell when it's not right and even when battery is stone cold the N-light usally comes on even weak but there seems to be no juice to front ...all the fuses seem in tack and all the solder points seem good. Is there an in-line fuse some place else I can check..it's one thing for a low battery but with a strong tail light it seems like juice is disconnected to the front of bike.

Check the wiring in the headlamp. Also the fuse box....I've had the contacts (where the fuse clips in) fall to bits before on the XS650 causing intermitant faults. Take all the fuses out to check if you haven't all ready.

And check all the fuses with a meter, I've had dodgy fuses before, the glass tube type being the worst for this.

Check the wiring in the headlamp. Also the fuse box....I've had the contacts (where the fuse clips in) fall to bits before on the XS650 causing intermitant faults. Take all the fuses out to check if you haven't all ready.

And check all the fuses with a meter, I've had dodgy fuses before, the glass tube type being the worst for this.

I agree, my XS400 was doing the same thing and it ended up being a fuse issue.

If you do have the stock fuse box, I'd rip that thing out of there and purchase some inline mini ACT/ATO fuse holders. They are more reliable, super cheap and easy to install.

I agree, my XS400 was doing the same thing and it ended up being a fuse issue.

If you do have the stock fuse box, I'd rip that thing out of there and purchase some inline mini ACT/ATO fuse holders. They are more reliable, super cheap and easy to install.

Would those be just the simple in-line holder and wires you can find in most auto supply stores? I would assume if I match the wire gauge and the fuse AMP I should be good to go right?

Would those be just the simple in-line holder and wires you can find in most auto supply stores? I would assume if I match the wire gauge and the fuse AMP I should be good to go right?

Yup, I got mine at Radio Shack, and just use the same Amp fuses for each application and you're good to go. Just make sure you solder the wires together, don't use crimping or plugs.

Yup, I got mine at Radio Shack, and just use the same Amp fuses for each application and you're good to go. Just make sure you solder the wires together, don't use crimping or plugs.

Cool I'll give it a go

Cool I'll give it a go

Another bit of advice. You may want to cut the wires down a bit on the fuse holder lines. I didn't and there is just a bit of unnecessary wire that makes it not look as tidy. Clipping an inch or so off the wires would just make it look cleaner.

I tried a test light across each fuse and then tfrom the sodder point to sodder point, key on and key off nothing..battery shows juice and tail light brake light works.. what is between the battery and the fuses some other fuse? I can understand one being blown but all of them and even f the fuse is blown going from the sodder points by passes the fuse...ideas?

I tried a test light across each fuse and then tfrom the sodder point to sodder point, key on and key off nothing..battery shows juice and tail light brake light works.. what is between the battery and the fuses some other fuse? I can understand one being blown but all of them and even f the fuse is blown going from the sodder points by passes the fuse...ideas?

There are no other fuses between the battery and fuse box. Also, if you checked each fuse, and your break light is working, then at least one of the checks you made should have shown there was power.

Have you checked the connections at your starter switch, which you can see in the diagram below?

I wish I could help more, but I am not familiar with 650's

Here is a wiring diagram for your bike:

yamahaxs650hxs650shwiri.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online