no spark

Alan m
This post is 5047 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

first i have tried a search and all i get is this

One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

so please don't tell me to search as its been already discused i cant as it keeps giving me the same answer

???????????????????

ok rant

over i have changed the re/rec tried 3 different cdi's there is power going to the coil as i have checked the red wire/striped wire every once in a while i will get a slight tickle if i touch the plug wire but nothing to stop my heart i cant keep or can afford to buy more cdi's

i have also checked the loom stripped it back and checked all wires and conections no probs or dodgy earths fused wire etc

the last cdi got hot at the 3 wire pin and the red battery wire got hot as did the rec/reg so i dumped that one for a later model one no more hot wires or reg but the cdi heated up ?

i have a spare pickup /gen coil could this be the problem shouild i change my one out and try it ?

so i am stuck and cant get a workshop manual for the xtz 660 tenere

is there any way of checking the cdi with multimeter can't find a manual with the proper reading so if any body knows were or how to do it please let me know again thanks be patient im new to the xtz range

thanks in advance for all your wonder full help and solutions

maz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No real way of doing a meaningful test on a cdi box with a multimeter, You come across diodes and transistors very soon in the circuit. I think if you do a google search you'd be able to find the resistance valves of the pickups. then do a thorough check of the wiring to see if the side stand and any other cut outs are good, working reliably and in correct sense. Once you've done that you have to think along the lines of you have power, signals from the generator and the coil is good............not much left in the system is there.

have 3 cdi's made up good one today got spark its not over heating which is plus not a great spark thgough i was reading another site and got a tip clear off all the anti vibe glue seemingly overtime it acts as a conductor so i cleaned it all up and lo and behold its sparking not great but its a start so the thinking is it might be a condenser some them became loose as i got rid of the glue so i might change one or 2 loose ones

time will tell ,

me missus would prob say the same :P

well i got it running so hope fully i have solved it task was off and it cut out but gonna start puttin back together today heading off for a week tomorrow so hoping to get it sorted

the saga will continue

• 2 weeks later...

up and running sounds well never had one before but for a big single its ok

perseverance andd being bull headed works every time

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online