DT 125 (2003) derestrict

eklem2009
This post is 4356 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys and girls, I've been reading these forums for months now and finally decided to register.

I'm in a bit of a pickle; I've heard and read so much about derestricting a 2003 DT125, yet I'm having some trouble with understanding the reed switch.

I've pulled out the reed switch and have not noticed any difference as it still sits at around 7500rpm regardless of whether it's in or out. I've been told to earth this however have been told not to equally as much.

There are currently no other mods/derestrictions to this, apart from taking out the air snorkel... I'm only using it to commute to work (5 minutes down the road) and occasionally to town. I intend on buying a full DEP exhaust later this month.

Picture related.

img0278r.th.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If your engine number startes with 4BL then the reed switch is not functional, so you may as well put it back in.

Your exhaust must be restricted by either big washers in it or a small cone in it. Remove whichever one it is and you will then have more revs.

Put the snorkel back on the air box or the bike will splutter at full throttle unless you are going to rejet.

What is your engine number ?

You have read Oldgitonabike's post on Derestricting My DT 125r ---- havent you ?

I'm having some trouble with understanding the reed switch.

I've pulled out the reed switch and have not noticed any difference as it still sits at around 7500rpm regardless of whether it's in or out. I've been told to earth this however have been told not to equally as much.

The reed switch is NOT a rev limiter it is a speed limiter, therefore at speeds less than apprximately 65mph you should be able to rev freely above 7500 rpm.

What is the number on the exhaust? it may have a reducer in the neck of the downpipe.

I would'nt waste my money on a DEP unless yours is manky and letting the bikes looks down. as 2wheels said see my thread for pictures of the exhaust restrictor but bear in mind it may be restricted in a different way hence why I asked for the number.

• 1 year later...

hi guys , i also have a Dt125 r from 2003 ,from what i noticed it goes easy to 7000rmp ,after that goes up a lot slower to 9k or more but very slow. My engine is *4BL-14670--* i suspect the exhaust is the limiting factor. On the exhaust is written YAM. 3RM-00. i would really apreaciate it if u guys could tell me some more about how is this limited and what can i do to improve the preformance.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online