Ive got a floppy lever !

This post is 5079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive got a floppy gear lever and am really struggling to find gears ! The bike was run low on transmission oil and now is a nightmare to ride. its not the lever itself on the shaft thats tight and ok, its the shaft itself with loads of play.

H E L P M E !

Thanks

2stroke ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ive got a floppy gear lever and am really struggling to find gears ! The bike was run low on transmission oil and now is a nightmare to ride. its not the lever itself on the shaft thats tight and ok, its the shaft itself with loads of play.

H E L P M E !

Thanks

2stroke ray

Are you saying the lever does not return to centre when lifted up or pushed down?

If so it could be a broken torsion spring, see item 3

%201A3RM-300EA/SHIFT%20SHAFT/"]shift shaft

yeah thats right, it wont return to centre (sure that was an elvis number) it just flops around and to change down i have to slightly lift the lever up to get another gear back down. is slightly better changing up but not much . is this a difficult fix, as in engine out or anything serious like that ?

many thanks

ray

ok, have just had alook, and i cant seem to see any torion spring at all. doesnt seem to have ever been there either ? i have just the shaft comming out of the casing with the gear lever attached thats it !? have looked in the haynes book and theres no mention of this spring ? haynes just going on about selectors.

The only suspicion i have is that the bike was very low on gear oil and had only 2 gears,1 up & 1 down, when filled correctly with oil it did seem to get a little better with more gears.

HHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Its in the haynes book page 61. It is fitted at the opposite end of the shaft to the gearchange lever. It will mean an oil drain and clutch cover removal to inspect which in turn will mean a new spring if its broken and new gaskets, I strongly advise a new shaft seal too if you do have to replace the spring.

just found the gear selector mechanism diagram in the haynes book(p59) and it shows 2 return torsion springs(1 on gearchange shaft item 11 and another on selector fork shaft item 3). i just cant make out where they actually are, must be inside the gearbox casing yes ? sorry for my stupidness ! how the bloody hell am i going to cange those little gits ! might be outta my depth here ! again HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP !

Thanks

Ray

sorry oldgit just seen ur reply and have located in the haynes pg61. i just hope that it is the problem, will keep u updated and many thanks.

ray

Ive never had my motor in bits but I expect the clutch will have to come off to get at that as well...ask Vez. If so it may mean special tools to hold it firm while the centre nut is undone...check your haynes book or if you can...enlist some help.

Ive never had my motor in bits but I expect the clutch will have to come off to get at that as well...ask Vez. If so it may mean special tools to hold it firm while the centre nut is undone...check your haynes book or if you can...enlist some help.

Yes it only requires the clutch cover removing to inspect it and probably the clutch removed to replace it, if indeed it is broken.

The nut in the center of the clutch shouldn't be that tight as it is held by a locking type washer that folds up against the nut.

I used an oil filter removal tool to hold the clutch basket while i unfastened the nut, but that was on a rusted nut.

29794d1235570440-cant-get-my-oil-filter-off-tips-00960617000.jpg

Vez.

hi, thats great lads and thanks, if its not the spring any other ideas ? presume selectors worn etc ?

cheers

ray

Cross that bridge if/when you get to it.

It may be item 3 on here %201A3RM-300EA/SHIFT%20CAM.%20FORK/"]http://62.5.189.98/yamahaeur/exist/moto/Motorcycle%202001-Current/DT125R/3RMM%20(GBR)%202002%20[050]%201A3RM-300EA/SHIFT%20CAM.%20FORK/, which is inspectable( :unsure: ) while checking the torsion spring on the end of the gear shaft.

Vez