I'm back

akronevan2
This post is 5083 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so last night my dad and I put the carbs back on the bike and took it for a ride. It ran very well and as some of you know, I just put a new clutch in it and it was doing well also. I get back to my dad's house and he jumps on it and takes it for a ride. He gets back and says the clutch needs adjusted a little more. I loosen the nut, back off the screw and NO clutch! At this point I said, "no problem, we'll just take off the cover and see what's going on". You would think that wouldn't be a problem to do but NO! We loosened all the screw/bolts until we got to the one at the top left. At once it stripped out. To make a long story short, you wouldn't know that it ever had a screw head on it, it looks like the head was in a wood chipper! Just a funny story but seriously, it bothers me to think that Yamaha, back then, would have been so short sighted as to put a soft metal bolt in there with a screw head. Come on guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok so last night my dad and I put the carbs back on the bike and took it for a ride. It ran very well and as some of you know, I just put a new clutch in it and it was doing well also. I get back to my dad's house and he jumps on it and takes it for a ride. He gets back and says the clutch needs adjusted a little more. I loosen the nut, back off the screw and NO clutch! At this point I said, "no problem, we'll just take off the cover and see what's going on". You would think that wouldn't be a problem to do but NO! We loosened all the screw/bolts until we got to the one at the top left. At once it stripped out. To make a long story short, you wouldn't know that it ever had a screw head on it, it looks like the head was in a wood chipper! Just a funny story but seriously, it bothers me to think that Yamaha, back then, would have been so short sighted as to put a soft metal bolt in there with a screw head. Come on guys!

I had a hell of a time with "cheese" head screws on my RD400s baffle. What I do is soak it in penetrating fluid and let it sit for an hour. I then take my best screwdriver and mallet and whack the crap out of it a few times, then try turning it. If it doesn't budge, whack it again. They eventually come loose that way, but you really need to make sure that the screwdriver is engaged with the screw absolutely perfectly.

I thought that all the xs range used allen heads!!

anyways I always use an impact driver when undoing ANY cheese head screws

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online