Dumbest thing ever!! DON'T DO THIS!

exess4
This post is 5092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Haven't had time in weeks to work on the '77/'78 XS400 got in early Apr. It's a IIE (2G5), Kick start only which makes this all the worse.

Tentative on kickstarting it at first until letting rings soak in ATF. Turned it over and Compression :D

After removng clutch cover, thought I'd slide the kickstart in to attempt to properly get the spring in place (with case cover removed).

THEN, why not kick it once just to check out the spring action. Not cool. I BROKE my bike!! :icon_cry: A chunk of the innermost kickstart insert hole

busted apart and far, far away. At first the beginner blunder to end all. Way too embarased to even take an after picture of this disaster

at that time, didn't want idiot evidence of this. (might still take one now and post. Maybe)

Anyway, there is just enough of it remaining that when back in WITH the cover it still seems to be operable. Otherwise bumpstart all the way, everyday.

(and not shut it off).

The upside to this is that I wasn't intending to tear apart or even remove the motor; just the upper end at most. This is all good. Engine is out now,

no worries :unsure:

Maybe I'll learn something (then sell it in little broken pieces).

Photo using Paintbrush.

000.jpg

Picture of the now. Motor in a bucket :huh:

inxs176.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would think every single one of us has made a similar mistake,bikes are about learning so no shame,it looks in damn good condition.its repairable so get it back on the road and have a ball.

you'll have to fish that chunk out anyways, get someone to weld it back in

|I've seen this on a 250 engine i had knocking around, so your not on your own. put it down to experience you sad sweet dreamer!! :)

Very much appreciate the encouraging! Not at all what expectin' , ha.

And, yea I was wondering about whether it'd work alright to have someone weld it.

Didn't even have to ask! :) Now I know, thanks.

Might as well get this over with, then let this thread bury pages back, so here you have it. Bugger!!

kicked005.jpg