Voltage Drain

vic-fzr600
This post is 5111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all.

Need opinions. Bike has been off road while ive been unemployed. Just had full engine rebuild, but still few niggles to iron out.

Battery was fully charged on sat & put back in bike, bike put back in garage & not touched. Todays its as flat as a pancake, not even a light or horn.

Any ideas how to find the voltage drain or what it could be?

Thanks

Vic

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just wondering Vic, put the meter to measure DC amps x 20. Charge battery and then connect the black to chassis, then measure in series between the + terminal and the red wire to meter. you will get an indication of any discharge into the bike that way.

Just wondering Vic, put the meter to measure DC amps x 20. Charge battery and then connect the black to chassis, then measure in series between the + terminal and the red wire to meter. you will get an indication of any discharge into the bike that way.

Thanks OG, i'll try it. Just seems to be one stumbling block after another at the minute!!

Thanks OG, i'll try it. Just seems to be one stumbling block after another at the minute!!

Maybe I could have worded that better, dont put the black meter lead to chassis!! or you will blow the meter of its internal fuse.

leave the battery neg connected to chassis, put meter between batt + and the lead that connects to Batt +, apologies if you already knew this.

Maybe I could have worded that better, dont put the black meter lead to chassis!! or you will blow the meter of its internal fuse.

leave the battery neg connected to chassis, put meter between batt + and the lead that connects to Batt +, apologies if you already knew this.

Disconnect the positive lead from the battery, place the multimeter in series with the battery and the lead you just disconnected. You will need a multimeter that can measure current and handle 10 amps. Do not attempt to start the engine, but you can turn on the ignition. The head lamp will draw 4-5 amps and switching other things on can quickly come up to the meter's limit.

With everything off there should be no current (obviously) if there is a drain start by disconnecting the voltage regulator. ;)

I'm assuming you haven't got an alarm.

I'm assuming you haven't got an alarm.

No, no alarm.

With everything off there should be no current (obviously) if there is a drain start by disconnecting the voltage regulator. ;)

Thanks for the info I'll try that test. Can you run without the regulator as it seems to be constant cause of problems?

No, no alarm.

Thanks for the info I'll try that test. Can you run without the regulator as it seems to be constant cause of problems?

Dont consider doing this, the regulator is there to keep the voltage levels down to an acceptable level. You would risk other damage by ignoring it. Anyway we dont know rhe reg is faulty yet although as said it is one of the usual suspects.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online