xs400 fork spring upgrade?

jdmjimi
This post is 5110 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey any of you xs400 guys out there know of any semi-performance upgrade fork springs avalible for the xs400?

My xs is so sloppy in the front end, I found "hagon" fork springs on wemoto, anyone know if these have a stiffer spring rate then factorys? I want to do a fork brace from (omars), Steering stablizer from (mikesxs), clipons from (fastfromthepast), and new needle bearing for the head tube. I want to improve the handling. Any ideas throw em out there... thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You seem to be going for a shot gun effect, throw enough crap on it and it will fix the problem!

First the forks are fixed damping so you aren't going to improve them greatly no matter what you do. Fitting progressive springs makes very little difference if you have fixed damping. Its the damping more then then spring that gives you the feel.

That said a Hagon spring might be better then a tired 70's one.

If the steering bearings are not worn you'll get no benefit from replacing them with tapers.

The two most worhwhile mod you can do is fitting a fork brace, this will transform the front end, and a decent set of matched tyres Bridgestone BT45s for example (although don't go too high on the speed rating or you'll never get them hot enough) - you won't believe how much difference doing these 2 things will make until you do it.

I'm assuming you have already checked the swing arm bush is good (they had plastic bushes? - if my memory serves me correctly. I made some out of bronze for one of my bikes.)

And the rear shocks are in good condition. Again no point in buying fancy progressive adjustable everything when you're stuck with the forks, and frame designed as a 70's commuter bike - just a reasonable set will do (hagon shocks are ok but there are better).

Simply geting good tyres and a fork brace will transform the handling.

Thanks, Yeah i replaced the swing arm bushings with a needle bearing setup about a year ago (what a difference!)

I also have a second swing arm that i made with more bracing to it (havent added it yet.)

You are deffently right about the fixed dampening ordeal. Thought about doing a set of cb550 forks with emulators and springs (alot more avalible for those.) I know, i was told before that i have a shot gun style of repair...

Im all ways trying to fix whats not broken. Thanks bud!

Thanks, Yeah i replaced the swing arm bushings with a needle bearing setup about a year ago (what a difference!)

I also have a second swing arm that i made with more bracing to it (havent added it yet.)

You are deffently right about the fixed dampening ordeal. Thought about doing a set of cb550 forks with emulators and springs (alot more avalible for those.) I know, i was told before that i have a shot gun style of repair...

Im all ways trying to fix whats not broken. Thanks bud!

try a 20w fork oil, wurth do progressive spings

check out the "minton mods" for xs650's very similar to 400's upgrade (i used the fork oil capacity from this)

I've fitted cartridge emulators and Hagon progressive springs to an SR500 Street Tracker I'm building. It'll be intresting to see what difference that makes.

I've also fitted XT500 yokes and a fork brace. The Yokes are stiffer and give more trail then the steel SR items, the idea is to to calm the tendenacy of the SR to shake its head over bumps at speed without adding weight in the form of a steering damper. I had to machine shims to make up the 1mm difference in fork tube dia.

I've dropped the front wheel size from 19" to 18" as well. Lots to set up when I get it on the road!

• 2 weeks later...

try a 20w fork oil, wurth do progressive spings

check out the "minton mods" for xs650's very similar to 400's upgrade (i used the fork oil capacity from this)

So to control dive when using the front brakes (which I have come to despise) all you have to do is fill it with 20w fork oil to about 6" from the top without following through with the other modifications listed (cause most of that was over my head).

So to control dive when using the front brakes (which I have come to despise) all you have to do is fill it with 20w fork oil to about 6" from the top without following through with the other modifications listed (cause most of that was over my head).

that's what i did, the front is a lot firmer, but now we have pot holes after winter it does patter a bit more.

never bothered with drilling the damper rods etc, i suppose it could make a difference.

glad to see this thread is still going. Well i have 4 sets of xs400 forks to screw with. One of witch i am currently getting ready to drill the fork tubes. I have another set i was going to have the fork tubes shorted and re-threaded for my cafe. I love how low my bike is but, I dont love the fork tubes sticking out of the top of the triple. (looks like shit). Well lets keep the replys going. everyones feedback is great so far.

that's what i did, the front is a lot firmer, but now we have pot holes after winter it does patter a bit more.

never bothered with drilling the damper rods etc, i suppose it could make a difference.

Worked a treat. Started about 6" from the top, was rock hard. took one drain screw out, put a tiny bit of weight on it and it shot some oil out, put screw back in, took other screw out, little bit of weight, shot oil, screw back in...now its got a couple inches of soft movement before firming up quickly, feels great. Thanks!

Worked a treat. Started about 6" from the top, was rock hard. took one drain screw out, put a tiny bit of weight on it and it shot some oil out, put screw back in, took other screw out, little bit of weight, shot oil, screw back in...now its got a couple inches of soft movement before firming up quickly, feels great. Thanks!

your welcome :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online