XT350 main shaft play

ugg
This post is 5119 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

i have a 1985 XT350 , my engine had a knocking sound , so checked valve clearances.

They were in the specified settings.

I then pulled the camchain tensioner out, this was working fine.

My search moved to the clutch basket , as i recently replaced the plates/corks, and springs.

I noticed that the clutch basket had allot of free play on the basket.

Yesterday i removed the basket , and i found the main shaft has 2 mm play (as you pull it towards you)

a small amount of up and down play.

Also the cog on the left to the main shaft that engages the kick start mechanism is very worn , like it needs a washer

to space it out?

dsc00115z.jpg

I suspect a worn bearing , but i cant see one on my manual?

Im pulling the engine apart this weekend , top end and splitting casings, to see whats warn?

I hope its just a bearing , not the crank. Ill know when i remove the piston .

ugg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 4 weeks later...

The link doesnt work.

PM sent

Update on my clutch basket...

It turned out that the nut holding the balancer shaft was lose (finger tight) so the shaft had somehow loosened the nut?

The clutch basket had around 1mm free play.

I split the casings and replaced both main gearbox shaft bearings , and replaced the clutch basket for a better one.

While the engine was in bits , i replaced the gudgeon pin , fitted new rings +50s soi gapped them 0.10 tho for a tight fit.

The valves were reground and valve stem oil seals replaced.

I locktighted the balancer shaft nut on and the main gearbox shaft bearings in also.

I thought i had to shim out the main shaft with a 1mm shim steel washer to take up the play , but the new bearings took up all the play and the basket was a solid fit. (no wobble)

I cleaned up the piston head and valve head , as to decoke them.

Cams timed up and engine all tightened up n thrown back in running chassis.

While i was waiting for my rings to arrive from fowlers , i smoothed out the intake ports.

There is a small 2.3mm lip on the intake rubbers to the head, i filed out and smoothed with wet n dry to make the intake the same diameter hole as the intake port ( removed the sharp lip) on the ally part of the intake rubber.

This gives you a bit better gas flow (throttle response) on the intake , on the higher rev range.

My initial 50 miles ,(dropped oil after 20 , to check ) then replaced with new , the bike runs sweet.

More power at less than quarter throttle , response is smoother, engine much quieter ..

I recon once its run in , its gona fly...:)

ugg