My first big bike problem ( part 2 ) Plz Help!!

Antz
This post is 5143 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

;)For any one who did not read my last post i have bought my first big bike yamaha xj 600

21.000 miles full service history, and a lady owner for 5 years and hardly used, and garaged the whole time, the bike runs just fine but kicks out a lot of white smoke when it gets warm, and smells of fuel..only a bit!!...there is a ticking noise from the front of the engine, yamaha members asked me to see if all four exuast ports got hot, yes they did..and no i did not burn my hands lol i have phoned a local guy to get the carbs balanced but he reckons it will cost £100..is this right? a freind told me it's one hour work for a garage?..yamaha members also told me to video the sound etc so i did this afternoon the link is here....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPYs7uhj9Q....i just hope it's not going to cost a bomb to put right as im allready low on money from buying this bike!!! and the wife it giving me the evil's rightr now lol...cheers guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't really help with the bike, a 2-stroke kinda person here. But i will help with the video. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5IPYs7uhj9Q

To do this copy the url of the video, then click the last icon above the text box when posting and paste the url in the pop up box.  ;)Thanks buddy!!!....not much intrest from other members as yet fingers croseed! :)

The thing is you need a special vacuum gauge and tubing to do it, not to mention some skill or experience, so it looks like you may just have to pay it or find someone who will do it for less...shop around dont just take the first offer eh?

£100 quid, some people will have the brass neck to ask for this kind of dosh, there will be (maybe someone on here who lives near) will do the balancing for a lot less, like you said its an hours work , on the vid the bike sounds really rough-but its a crappy you-tube vid, you need to find someone near you who knows and will help you out :mellow:

Bike looks nice and clean, sounded ok when rev'd too. I think the tickover (idle) seems a bit low I would have expected around 1100 rpm for this, that would mean adjusting just one screw which should be fairly prominent but I cant tell you more as I am not experienced with it.

The thing is you need a special vacuum gauge and tubing to do it, not to mention some skill or experience, so it looks like you may just have to pay it or find someone who will do it for less...shop around dont just take the first offer eh?

To true

Bike looks nice and clean, sounded ok when rev'd too. I think the tickover (idle) seems a bit low I would have expected around 1100 rpm for this, that would mean adjusting just one screw which should be fairly prominent but I cant tell you more as I am not experienced with it.

Thanks for looking :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online