175 MX Gear Shift

crowtoms
This post is 5147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The gear shift lever is badly worn making gear change erratic and jerky, I cannot seem to remove it from the spindle, I release the nut and take out the retaining bolt but the arm will still not come off, I do not want to force it off, is there a knack to it..??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The gear shift lever is badly worn making gear change erratic and jerky, I cannot seem to remove it from the spindle, I release the nut and take out the retaining bolt but the arm will still not come off, I do not want to force it off, is there a knack to it..??

No knack, just remove completely the bolt and gently rock it back and forth as you pull on it. Sounds like you will in the very least need a new lever, worst case you will need the shaft too.

In the past i have got extra use from a badly worn spline by cutting a section of very thin aluminium from a beer can and wrapping it round the spline as the lever is tapped back on. This will pospone the inevitable replacement for a while. Dont weld it on though thats a silly way out of this fix as you have to saw it off to remove the case in future, plus it melts the seal and leaks oil.

No knack, just remove completely the bolt and gently rock it back and forth as you pull on it. Sounds like you will in the very least need a new lever, worst case you will need the shaft too.

In the past i have got extra use from a badly worn spline by cutting a section of very thin aluminium from a beer can and wrapping it round the spline as the lever is tapped back on. This will pospone the inevitable replacement for a while. Dont weld it on though thats a silly way out of this fix as you have to saw it off to remove the case in future, plus it melts the seal and leaks oil.

The last dodgy lever i had, long time ago now though. I drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw that would tighten down onto the shaft, i filed a flat onto the shaft (with the electric file :D ), drop of loctite to finish. Lasted till i sold the bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online