vm34 carbs on xs400

Chet Wright
This post is 5107 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive been lurking this board for awhile. figured id join up and since i finally have something to share.

after all the researsh i could handle and not one single result, i pulled the trigger on some vm34 carbs for the xs650 figuring ill just have to rejet. no big deal since im sick and tired of playing with 2 different sets of cv's without success.

anyways, the bike started up first kick with new carbs, dont know if jetting will work yet, since i havent quit finished the throttle cable.

ill keep y'all posted.

78 xs400.

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01407.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

when you finished playing with the carbs, just send them over to me ;)

:welcome: to the forum my friend

when you finished playing with the carbs, just send them over to me ;)

:welcome: to the forum my friend

you`ve got plenty .... let me have these ones :) .... welcome Mr Wright :)

• 5 weeks later...

I can belive i finaly found someone else online that put vm's on there xs400. I made a manifold to run (1) vm34 on my 79' xs400. I went to test start the bike just to relize the guy i bought the carb from didnt tell me he took the main jet out completely. So now i have to get those. How does yours run with the vm's?

I can belive i finaly found someone else online that put vm's on there xs400. I made a manifold to run (1) vm34 on my 79' xs400. I went to test start the bike just to relize the guy i bought the carb from didnt tell me he took the main jet out completely. So now i have to get those. How does yours run with the vm's?

i would have liked to run one carb but i didnt feel like taking on fabing a manifold. i just bought new boots on ebay and they fit perfectly.

update!!!

runs perfect now. i had to move the needle to the lowest clip and it responded great. starts up first kick w/o choke. i havent had a chance to open her all the way up yet, maybe this afternoon after work.

so here are the specs:

vm34's

-pilot jets 25

- main jet 180

- needle 6f9- lowest clip of 5

Personally, I like the idea of painting the rims without removing the tire...no masking, quick and dirty change of appearance, you know that one day you'll find the time to do it right...yah, right..... :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online