DT50MX Carb..

Dufferz
This post is 5173 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys.. I'm in dire need of help with my little one! I've sold it to my girlfriend, just before the winter, before winter layup, she was as sweet as anything, only little niggldy electrical problems.

After the winter, i noticed that she was as difficult as anything to start, and once she was actually trying to move, she was spluttering and repeatedly flooding the spark plug.

Few days after, I noticed that she kept spitting fuel back out of the overflow in the carb.. So my immediate thought was worn float needle/seat.

Dropped the carb, inspected it all, and theres some reasonably bad wear on the needle where it sits, so i'm trying to find another.. If anyone out there can get ahold of a part number that I can order another with I'd be severely grateful!

It might also be worth noting that when the engine is warm, as in worked past the repeated spluttering, she seems fine, starts first or second kick and rides just fine.. so im really thinking that the needle being worn will allow too much fuel through and that, being the actual problem here, making it splutter.. So when the engines warm, it keeps the fuel vaporised and it burns easier, so in my eyes, it makes sence

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

a carb rebuild would be best i think, after all the bike is no doubt around 20 years old and the seals e.t.c wont be at their best, its surprising how tempermental these little bikes can be especially in the extremes of the british weather.

rebuild kits are available online and retail at around £10, its worth it IMHO