Yamaha rxs 100 engine cuts out when warm ??

Reesy
This post is 5174 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This bike is doing my nut in !!! Ive had a few problems but this one has only just come to light as ive only just got my cbt.

The bike starts and idles fine, but when its riden for say a mile or so, the engine bogs down and cuts out. As if when it gets up to correct temperature, it cuts out. It wont start again staight away, but after leaving it for 5 mins its starts but it can only be riden for a short distance before it cuts out again.

Ive tried setting the fuel/air mix as described in my haynes manual but it still cuts out, Then again to me a haynes manual seems its written in a foriegn language sometimes :huh: so a human explanation would be great. :) .

A friend of mine said it could be an air leak in the carb, ive checked everything on the carb and all screws and that are tight. But the one ting that is concerning me is that when I originally cleaned the carb to get it running, there was no gasket where the bowl part meets the rest of the carb. I didnt think anything of it at the time, cause the guy who gave me the bike said it was running before he put it in storage. Is this gasket absoloutly necessary, and if it is where can i get one from. Ive searched all over the net but cant find one. The carb model is a mukini vm22ss if that helps.

Please somebody help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This bike is doing my nut in !!! Ive had a few problems but this one has only just come to light as ive only just got my cbt.

The bike starts and idles fine, but when its riden for say a mile or so, the engine bogs down and cuts out. As if when it gets up to correct temperature, it cuts out. It wont start again staight away, but after leaving it for 5 mins its starts but it can only be riden for a short distance before it cuts out again.

Ive tried setting the fuel/air mix as described in my haynes manual but it still cuts out, Then again to me a haynes manual seems its written in a foriegn language sometimes huh.gif so a human explanation would be great. smile.gif .

A friend of mine said it could be an air leak in the carb, ive checked everything on the carb and all screws and that are tight. But the one ting that is concerning me is that when I originally cleaned the carb to get it running, there was no gasket where the bowl part meets the rest of the carb. I didnt think anything of it at the time, cause the guy who gave me the bike said it was running before he put it in storage. Is this gasket absoloutly necessary, and if it is where can i get one from. Ive searched all over the net but cant find one. The carb model is a mukini vm22ss if that helps.

Please somebody help.

Yes you need the missing gasket off the floot bool. There not dear of any good bike garage.

Does the bike run propper for that first mile or so?

Yes you need the missing gasket off the floot bool. There not dear of any good bike garage.

Does the bike run propper for that first mile or so?

Yes the bike runs great for that first mile or so. I can ride it for longer if I keep the revs and speed low. But if i get some speed and the revs over 5000 rpm, then slow to a stop its then that the engine bogs down and cuts out.

Yes the bike runs great for that first mile or so. I can ride it for longer if I keep the revs and speed low. But if i get some speed and the revs over 5000 rpm, then slow to a stop its then that the engine bogs down and cuts out.

If it starts and idels fine then your carb is set up right for all the low idel stuff.

You now need the gasket before you go trying to sort out the carb for the high speed stuff.

Im gona take a "wild guess" and say that it might be your HT lead to the plug, sometimes if its old or damaged it can perform ok at low and idel revs but will short out when the engine is driven hard or at high revs.

I am taking it that you have done all the usual checks !

Good battery

Right plug

good air filter

propper fuel flow to the carb

etc etc...

Ive tried setting the fuel/air mix as described in my haynes manual but it still cuts out, Then again to me a haynes manual seems its written in a foriegn language sometimes :huh: so a human explanation would be great. :) .

Please somebody help.

Please somebody help.

My Diversion suffered similarly: I traced the fault, after going through carbs, ignition etc, to a blocked vent in the tank cap. There is a membrane valve in the cap which I guess is intended to prevent the vent leaking fuel after an accident (or possibly rain ingress) but it was working rather too well! I hesitate to recommend my course of action which was to remove the valve but there have been no problems since. Ride safely.

Ok, thankyou to everyone who got back to me. Ive been messing with the bike all night and I think I got it. From what i can tell the fuel tap was partly blocked, at the filter I reckon. The fuel was only trickling through, so when it was idling there was enough fuel in the bowl to keep it going, but when I revved it, obviously that uses more fuel so it was draining the bowl quicker than the fuel could fill it............. I think ????

I cleaned the filter with clean petrol and blew through the pipe and it worked, fuel now flows freely. Havent taken the bike for a run yet, but i think its sorted.

Might have another issue now though!!!

When the fuel tap is in the off position the fuel still drips through, very slowly but it doesnt stop totally. Is this a problem??? or normal???

Oh and the float bowl gasket is on its way to me. :)

Ok, thankyou to everyone who got back to me. Ive been messing with the bike all night and I think I got it. From what i can tell the fuel tap was partly blocked, at the filter I reckon. The fuel was only trickling through, so when it was idling there was enough fuel in the bowl to keep it going, but when I revved it, obviously that uses more fuel so it was draining the bowl quicker than the fuel could fill it............. I think ????

I cleaned the filter with clean petrol and blew through the pipe and it worked, fuel now flows freely. Havent taken the bike for a run yet, but i think its sorted.

Might have another issue now though!!!

When the fuel tap is in the off position the fuel still drips through, very slowly but it doesnt stop totally. Is this a problem??? or normal???

Oh and the float bowl gasket is on its way to me. smile.gif

It is not normal but it is not a prob to the running of the bike, it will annoy you though if for some reason you have the fuel pipe off the tap.

When you get the gasket go for a spin and hopefully you will be biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online