Yamaha rxs 100.. cant get above 2nd gear ?

Reesy
This post is 5196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys. I just got hold of a h reg yamaha rxs 100, only 3750 miles on the clock... For free!!!! It wasnt running but after a quick carb clean, change of spark plug, fresh fuel and a bit of wd40 it nows runs and starts first kick. The only problem I have (could be a major one???) is that I cant seem to slot it into any other gears other than 1st and 2nd. Even when riding it, it just wont go.

Can any body please help wth this. do you think the gear box has had it???

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does it go past 2nd gear when the bike is not started by any chance,,, you know walk with it,1st gear, walk 2nd gear, walk--- will it then go to 3rd by any chance

hey thanks for reply 2 wheels. I havent tried walking with it, ive only tried it while riding, and when its standing still with the engine off. Ill try walking with it when i get home. If it does go into other gears then, then any idea what it could be.

Cheers.

hey thanks for reply 2 wheels. I havent tried walking with it, ive only tried it while riding, and when its standing still with the engine off. Ill try walking with it when i get home. If it does go into other gears then, then any idea what it could be.

Cheers.

With the engine off, try changing the gears by hand does the lever return to the central position or stay where it it.

If it stays put try manually returning it to centre and try selecting 3rd by lifting the lever again. You should hear coresponding mechanical noises to show something is going on. Good or bad.

I tried walking the bike but it wouldnt let me select gears at first. I had to put the bike on its main stand and rotate the back wheel by hand as I selected the gears with my other hand, as Cynic suggested. And then when I walked it again the gears worked. But as soon as i kicked it and got the engine running, it would only let me select 1st and 2nd again . So I had to start over again. Any ideas????? Its driving me mad. :(

I tried walking the bike but it wouldnt let me select gears at first. I had to put the bike on its main stand and rotate the back wheel by hand as I selected the gears with my other hand, as Cynic suggested. And then when I walked it again the gears worked. But as soon as i kicked it and got the engine running, it would only let me select 1st and 2nd again . So I had to start over again. Any ideas????? Its driving me mad. :(

So are you saying the gear lever didn't return to center. Or its just wont engage on the clutch because it stalls out?

Yeah when I moved the wheel by hand the gear lever was returning to the centre, and allowed me to select the rest of the gears. But as soon as i started the engine, the gear lever then stopped returning to the centre, and it wouldnt even allow me to manual return it to the centre. It would only allow 1st, 2nd and nuetral. I switched off the engine moved the wheel by hand and the gears and gear lever worked as normal. But again when the enine was started it stopped working again .

So are you saying the gear lever didn't return to center. Or its just wont engage on the clutch because it stalls out?

Yeah when I moved the wheel by hand the gear lever was returning to the centre, and allowed me to select the rest of the gears. But as soon as i started the engine, the gear lever then stopped returning to the centre, and it wouldnt even allow me to manual return it to the centre. It would only allow 1st, 2nd and nuetral. I switched off the engine moved the wheel by hand and the gears and gear lever worked as normal. But again when the enine was started it stopped working again .

How much oil is in the gearbox?

Its pretty much right in the middle of the maximum and minimum marks.

So, when the engine is running you have all gears and it selects as it is supposed to. Then when the engine is running you can select first and second only.

This is maddening, it should do one or the other, the fact that it all works when the engine is off rules out most of the issues when the engine is running.

Can you select them normally, as in clutch in lift lever feeling the action then clutch out wheel spins/drives. Repeat to select first. When the engine is running?

Has the bike been stored for an extended period? finally, this is going to be a bit of a bore. Try 5 minutes of manually going up and down the box using the back wheel and see if there is any improvement. It might just be a bit of light corrosion inside the box. Nothing all that serious but enough to jam up the selectors when they are under load. Working the mechanism through repeatedly may get it lubed up enough with oil under the sliding gears and such to free it out.

One last thing, have you tried starting it in 3rd or 4th and see what happens then with gear selection. If you use 3rd you should be able to ride off (carefully). Then you may get the gears back?

So, when the engine is running you have all gears and it selects as it is supposed to. Then when the engine is running you can select first and second only.

This is maddening, it should do one or the other, the fact that it all works when the engine is off rules out most of the issues when the engine is running.

Can you select them normally, as in clutch in lift lever feeling the action then clutch out wheel spins/drives. Repeat to select first. When the engine is running?

Has the bike been stored for an extended period? finally, this is going to be a bit of a bore. Try 5 minutes of manually going up and down the box using the back wheel and see if there is any improvement. It might just be a bit of light corrosion inside the box. Nothing all that serious but enough to jam up the selectors when they are under load. Working the mechanism through repeatedly may get it lubed up enough with oil under the sliding gears and such to free it out.

The bike has been stood for a few years,yes. Ive spent the last 10 mins with the engine switched off going through the gears, and there seems to be an improvement. i started the engine and it allowed me to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd this time :). I Put the bike on a stand and with the engine running I selected 1st, 2nd and 3rd in sequence, letting the clutch out untill I could feel the bite. i didnt drive off but the back wheel started to turn.

Still no 4th or 5th yet but im hoping that with a bit more time, they will become available.

Thankyou so much for your help. I was completly lost. :):)

The bike has been stood for a few years,yes. Ive spent the last 10 mins with the engine switched off going through the gears, and there seems to be an improvement. i started the engine and it allowed me to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd this time :). I Put the bike on a stand and with the engine running I selected 1st, 2nd and 3rd in sequence, letting the clutch out untill I could feel the bite. i didnt drive off but the back wheel started to turn.

Still no 4th or 5th yet but im hoping that with a bit more time, they will become available.

No problem, hope you don't have to stir the box too long to get the rest back.

The bike has been stood for a few years,yes. Ive spent the last 10 mins with the engine switched off going through the gears, and there seems to be an improvement. i started the engine and it allowed me to select 1st, 2nd and 3rd this time smile.gif. I Put the bike on a stand and with the engine running I selected 1st, 2nd and 3rd in sequence, letting the clutch out untill I could feel the bite. i didnt drive off but the back wheel started to turn.

Thankyou so much for your help. I was completly lost. smile.gifsmile.gif

A i see you have it almost sorted.

If bike was standing for a few years then it probably is just corosion. What you are doing will prob get all gears eventually.

I was thinking you might have a bent selector shaft or worn selector end pin, these usualy happen if the bike was dropped on the gear-change lever or if the bike has high milage. If you cant get 4th or 5th get back to us.

Good luck.

Once you have all the gears back, get the oil changed PDQ you dont want the rubbish floating around in there.

Once you have all the gears back, get the oil changed PDQ you dont want the rubbish floating around in there.

Hiya mate. just wanted to let you know that ive sorted the gear problem. I changed the oil and took it for a ride where i knew I would need lots of gear changes. And it worked. I now have all 5 gears. So thankyou very much for that.

But I now have another problem, the bike wont idle on any less than 3400 revs. it bogs down and cuts out everytime I turn the idle screw. I can keep it going with the throttle, but it just wont idle.

Damn Bike !!!!! :angry:

Hiya mate. just wanted to let you know that ive sorted the gear problem. I changed the oil and took it for a ride where i knew I would need lots of gear changes. And it worked. I now have all 5 gears. So thankyou very much for that.

But I now have another problem, the bike wont idle on any less than 3400 revs. it bogs down and cuts out everytime I turn the idle screw. I can keep it going with the throttle, but it just wont idle.

Damn Bike !!!!! :angry:

Blocked idle jet. Without it the engine only gets air at a very low throttle openings.

There is a topic on here , i can't recall which where Oldgitonabike has done a stonking picture of a carb detailing the cold start circuit etc. He may well see this and pop it on here too or link you to the topic.

I'll send him a PM tommorow if he hasn't spied this post, it will help far more than words.

Blocked idle jet. Without it the engine only gets air at a very low throttle openings.

There is a topic on here , i can't recall which where Oldgitonabike has done a stonking picture of a carb detailing the cold start circuit etc. He may well see this and pop it on here too or link you to the topic.

I'll send him a PM tommorow if he hasn't spied this post, it will help far more than words.

Is the idle jet also known as the pilot jet ?????

Is the idle jet also known as the pilot jet ?????

Yep, idle jet is also pilot jet!

+ Empty any water that might be in your float chamber.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online