TW125 2004 Front Sproket Problems

lilsammy
This post is 3256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi this is my first post, I would like some advice or help i have a few ideas on what to do but i would like to know what you all think.

I bought my tw125 04 model about a year ago now and have ran into a problem changing the front sproket this is my first bike (don't have a car) and i have had no troubles changing brakes, chains, rear sproket, oil and filters but this front sproket is getting on my nerves a bit, because obviously you will know if you own a tw125 the sproket cover you need to take off lets the oil out and i always change the oil rather than top it up so i try to avoid taking the sproket cover off but the first time i did it i got a shock because the sproket i bought which was "Supposed" to be a 04 model sproket has bigger bolt holes in it than mine. Now i have considered shaving some off the locking plate and using bigger bolts but the plate it self has almost no metal on it so shaving more off is going to be cutting it dangerously fine for my own peice of mind.

Now i contacted the website i bought the sproket off and they told me it was supposed to fit and i should just do as i said but i would prefer not too. So i bought another sproket off another website and that was the same big holes. I dont know what to do.

Has anyone had this problem before? To fix it i would need to get new bolts with the same size bolt head so it doesnt knock the chain off and a locking plate that has bigger holes too. I had a look for a locking plate all over the web and couldnt find one and i contacted the websites i bought the sprokets from and neither had the locking plates. I can probably find bolts somewhere local but i live out in the country side so bike dealers are few and far between around here for going to with this problem.

Any ideas or opinions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome lilsammy

I myself would not be comfortable with the idea of triming things down like the way you are describing.

Pattern parts that you buy off websites are not always the same as origional parts. You might have to get an origional sproket from a dealer.

Is the bike really a 04 or is this just the year it was registered, maby there were changes to the spec's of the bike between 03 and 04 (although i dout it)

I would take origional sproket to a bike shop and ask them if they had one like yours or could they get you one, I know More Money, but i dont like the idea of messing arround with other parts just to make your sproket fit. Anyhow surly the right sproket can be found for you bike.

Good Luck, and dont listen to people that you buy things off saying that you should change other things on your bike just to make there part fit, after-all (all they want to do is sell you something)

Well after i posted i went back out and poked about in the outbuildings (live on a farm) and we have all sorts of engines and stuff lieing around and i got it sorted, used somthing off a honda engine its not original anymore but it fits like the original so im not too fussed about it and it means i can just keep buying the sprokets i have been getting. Cant really take the original to a bike shop closest one would be 50 miles and the bike i have is my only transport. Thanks for the advice anyway.

The bolt's on the sprokets i bought were 6mm threads and the original is 4mm incase anyone was wandering.

Thanks "2 Wheels"

Well after i posted i went back out and poked about in the outbuildings (live on a farm) and we have all sorts of engines and stuff lieing around and i got it sorted, used somthing off a honda engine its not original anymore but it fits like the original so im not too fussed about it and it means i can just keep buying the sprokets i have been getting. Cant really take the original to a bike shop closest one would be 50 miles and the bike i have is my only transport. Thanks for the advice anyway.

The bolt's on the sprokets i bought were 6mm threads and the original is 4mm incase anyone was wandering.

Thanks "2 Wheels"

Be worth noting what the 'something off a honda' was so you can get more and what Honda it came from.

Also post it on here, you never know there may be another TW owner with similar issues.

Be worth noting what the 'something off a honda' was so you can get more and what Honda it came from.

Also post it on here, you never know there may be another TW owner with similar issues.

Was the sproket locking plate and bolts off a old honda 125 engine we had im not sure what model it is or anything its a 6 speed 125cc its really old what ever it is think it used to be for racing or somthing 6 speed on a 125 engine doesn't make sense to me.

I was thinking i could of actually put new 4mm holes into the sprokets i bought but the drilling and messing around cutting new threads this was easyer. I havent come across anyone reporting the same problem maybe i just got unlucky.

I will try to remember to post a pic of my bike tommorow when i put the back wheel on its so muddy xD need to wash it but as soon as i do one trip down my road and its muddy as hell again.

• 3 weeks later...

Was the sproket locking plate and bolts off a old honda 125 engine we had im not sure what model it is or anything its a 6 speed 125cc its really old what ever it is think it used to be for racing or somthing 6 speed on a 125 engine doesn't make sense to me.

I was thinking i could of actually put new 4mm holes into the sprokets i bought but the drilling and messing around cutting new threads this was easyer. I havent come across anyone reporting the same problem maybe i just got unlucky.

I will try to remember to post a pic of my bike tommorow when i put the back wheel on its so muddy xD need to wash it but as soon as i do one trip down my road and its muddy as hell again.

Hi

i bought a replacement front sproket and chain on ebay last year for £1 the seller lived local so i collected it,i put the bike in for repairs as i had running problems,the garage told me i needed to change the front sproket before the MOT as it was badly worn,luckily the one i had bought was the same as mine (05 plate) so keep an eye on ebay as it worth buying just in case.

ive had this problem before im guessing you were buying a pattern part you will find that its more of a universal front sprocket as it fits 30 odd bikes mostly chinese copies if you buy a oem part you shouldnt have this problem i bought various ones off ebay and all had the same problem you can also order a locking plate from your local yamaha dealer i have learnt from previous mistakes and for the couple of quid it costs to replace these parts ie locking plates sump plugs etc its easier to have a spare to hand when you do the job just incase the original breaks

• 5 years later...

Posted this a long time ago, I was actually searching google when I found this thread.

I am still using the Honda lock plate I mentioned in this thread, On Saturday just past I noticed the plate was bent out of shape on both bolt holes this was probably because I didn't fully tighten it up on my last sprocket replacement.

The odd thing is I notice I mentioned the original sprocket had 4mm holes and the new one I got had 6mm.

Well I have replaced that front sprocket several times since my original post (still use the same bike daily) and all the sprockets I buy now all come with the 6mm holes I have never had one advertised for my bike which has come with the original sized 4mm threads, so it seems almost all sellers are selling the bigger holed front sprockets but has anyone got any compatible local plates for these because mine seems to have taken some minor damage so I want to find a replacement.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online