Which WR ???

This post is 5210 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

New to off road riding and I'm after some advice. I'm looking to buy a bike for general green laning and off road riding but I'm not sure what model to go for. I've narrowed it down to either the WR250R or WR240F or WR450F. Can anyone tell me which one would be best. I need it for road use as I will be riding it to the various green lanes and tracks and also for use to commute to work. Is the 250 powerfull enough ??? I have a MT-03 660cc which is good but needs more power, this is the only bike I have rode. any advice would be appreciated.

Steven.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How fars your commute? I honestly do not think the wr would like it much (otherwise id have one in the garage!) The later WR's have ali frames 06 on i think?

The earlier ones the blue steel frame. Not sure about the difference of the engines but the ali framed one is ment to be a smoother ride. WR250r is more road orientated/trail bike so heavier and a bit underpowered.

Soo enough of that... if your going to do a commute in there aswell id personally look at the wr400, little bit older but still an awesome bike and more reliable just hard to find a good one.

HTH

Here is the U.S.the WR 25OR is the only one of the group legal for operation on public roads. I have one and love it.

The original tires on the bike are more suited for road use.

New to off road riding

Good for you, it's the best way to sharpen your skills.

and I'm after some advice.

Always a good place to start.

I'm looking to buy a bike for general green laning and off road riding but I'm not sure what model to go for. I've narrowed it down to either the WR250R or WR240F or WR450F. Can anyone tell me which one would be best.

None of them. Don't get me wrong they are great bikes and very very capable. But for a novice off roader, it's kinda like just passing your test and getting on a track bike. You'll grow to hate it, and for Green Lanes it's just a bit too focused. The WR's are a serious off-road bike, what you want is something less snappy, easier to look after and that doesn't need a service every 20 hours!!

I need it for road use as I will be riding it to the various green lanes and tracks and also for use to commute to work.

Despite what some may say, on the green lanes of this country what you need is a trail bike, and with the road sections between lanes getting longer, you need a bike that has good road manners too.

If you want to stick with Yamaha then look at the XT600's, or the TT's. With the TT's you have a choice of engine sizes, 250 will be ok but don't expect anything like the power of the MT. The XT660R is very capable too, and has great road manners.

I run a TT600RE, these bikes are pretty hard to get hold of now as they have the same sort of weight as a 400 (DRz) but the power of the 600, being airheads they don't have the extra weight of the cooling system. The 600 (same motor as the XT600) is livelier than the 660, well at least until you've stuck 20,000 miles on it anyway (or opened up the air intakes and fitted a Power commander) so you'll see a huge improvement on your 0-60 times!! Expect to pay around £2500 for a 2005 TT600RE.

Alternativly there is the ubiquitous DRZ400, very capable off road but they have a reputation for being uncomfortable after a couple of hours. of the Honda XR's, again very capable.

IF you are looking at a second bike then the WR's will be a great choice, but I wouldn't use one for commuting.

OR if you think about looking at DRZ's just forget it and look at the CCM 404, you will never look back,

crf rad shrouds (so its a good looker),

drz-e motor (reliable but more powerful than the 's' version),

wp suspension front and back. (same as KTM's)

Amazing pieces of kit, will go all day on the trails and will be good in enduros/rallies.

Great for a starter to off roading and theres loads of help out there for them if you need answers to anything.

Prices are good aswell compared to WR's and drz's so good value for money also! :)

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be some confusion about all the different WR models, I have a WR 250 R (2009) and is very different to the 250F the valves need to be checked every 26,000 miles. I mostly use it on the road and have found it excellent and economical. I would

suggest getting one of these.I also have an MT 01, I do not compare the bikes as they are totally different.

DAB

But their underpowered and a heavy, imo could of been a better bike espcially for the asking price.

But their underpowered and a heavy, imo could of been a better bike espcially for the asking price.

I certainly like mine,When you dial in the suspension and change the tires you can fly off road.

The bike is very respectable on the street as well.Makes max power about 10,000 rpm.

I admit id honestly love one in white and black as they are really cool looking bikes and reliable, i just wish they were 400's to challenge the drz and the likes.