dt175 front end

genslevin
This post is 5219 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Greetings.

The 250 would be a chunkier front fork i expect but thats not to say it wouldnt do. The crucial thing though is the length and size of the steering head pin, you will have to get the dimensions of both and work it out. Dont worry if the 250 fork is longer as you can raise the stanchion through the yokes by that amount to preserve the geometry of the original fork. are we talking field bike here or road legal bike?

Ok just look into the pin thing then, like i say you may have to drop the forks through the yoke a bit, if you do this you may even find you can still use the 175 brake cable!

Thanks for the heads up if need be I will do some fab work to get it to work. I will post some pics when all is done

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and yamaha world. I was given a 76 dt175 but the fromt end needs replaced. I wanted to know if a 250 front end would work if everything would fit. Any input is appreciated thanks everyone

Depends on WHAT 250 and when. A 76 250 shares its forks pretty much with the 175, but not the front wheel or yolks, due to a wider wheel the bushings and spindle are different too, as in larger, so they can handle a bit more pain.

If you look at later bikes then the fork thickness increaces etc etc etc.

It depends what part of the front end needs replacing, DT250 parts in good condition are rarer than 175 stuff and in truth no real improvement can you not sell one for the proper bits for yours.

In real terms the swap will cost you a set of steering head bearings most likely, need to check the parts list to be sure, it might be a straight nut and bolt swap if you are lucky.

Depends on WHAT 250 and when. A 76 250 shares its forks pretty much with the 175, but not the front wheel or yolks, due to a wider wheel the bushings and spindle are different too, as in larger, so they can handle a bit more pain.

If you look at later bikes then the fork thickness increaces etc etc etc.

It depends what part of the front end needs replacing, DT250 parts in good condition are rarer than 175 stuff and in truth no real improvement can you not sell one for the proper bits for yours.

In real terms the swap will cost you a set of steering head bearings most likely, need to check the parts list to be sure, it might be a straight nut and bolt swap if you are lucky.

Well 76 dt250 parts are available for me where 175 parts I will have to spend money so if I can usw the parts it would be nice if not I will go buy or custom fab other ones

Well 76 dt250 parts are available for me where 175 parts I will have to spend money so if I can usw the parts it would be nice if not I will go buy or custom fab other ones

In that case, 76 250 forks are pretty much what you have in a 76 175. The main difference is the yolks. Check out the fork bottoms where the wheels fit you SHOULD be able to swap the fork legs straight across using bits from both to make it all work. I understand the legs are the same length too.

In that case, 76 250 forks are pretty much what you have in a 76 175. The main difference is the yolks. Check out the fork bottoms where the wheels fit you SHOULD be able to swap the fork legs straight across using bits from both to make it all work. I understand the legs are the same length too.

Thanks I will post up the results incase anyone else runs into this situation. Also working on some custom rear suspension will let you guys know how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can put the front end on your bike, just remove the triple tee and install it into your steering neck.

I am using a MX 360 front end on my 125 and 175.In other words the whole front assembly.