buying from across the pond??

pepperami
This post is 5247 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

as one or two of you may be aware, i`m trying to reserect a bag of bolts into an XS400.

i am at the stage now where i may have to buy from abroad for a few parts :o and i am concerned.

this could be my first time buying from abroad.

we all know of someone who has been conned or fiddled by scammers abroad...

what i would like to know is what i need to look out for when buying from overseas.

what have you lot come across?? who should i avoid? do you lot know of any companies that give a very bad service to thier overseas buyers???

are there any really good companies that you lot can recommend???

in particular exhaust companies..... it`s a sad state of affairs when i can buy a new set of pipes from across the pond cheaper than i can get ones from the UK??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

as one or two of you may be aware, i`m trying to reserect a bag of bolts into an XS400.

i am at the stage now where i may have to buy from abroad for a few parts :o and i am concerned.

this could be my first time buying from abroad.

we all know of someone who has been conned or fiddled by scammers abroad...

what i would like to know is what i need to look out for when buying from overseas.

what have you lot come across?? who should i avoid? do you lot know of any companies that give a very bad service to thier overseas buyers???

are there any really good companies that you lot can recommend???

in particular exhaust companies..... it`s a sad state of affairs when i can buy a new set of pipes from across the pond cheaper than i can get ones from the UK??

look at the delivery details and only pay by paypale account if you aint got one then set one up it would gauarantee your

get it or your money back good luck you cant go wrong with paypale happy new year to you

Don't forget to email them and ask them for delivery prices to your house. I've bought from the US before and the company used a postal service that sent them to Heathrow only. Had to pay extra to have them sent up north (or go and collect...)

I recently bought some bags for my 1300 from the US. The seller was on ebay, had good ratings + answered my questions very quickly. Again used paypal to ensure it was covered 'just in case'. Paypal will convert your £ to $ but they use their own exchange rate (was about £10 more than googled currency converters said).

This was sent via USPS (US postal service) which was cheapest, then royal mail or more to the point parcel force take over. Don't forget there's VAT and import tax to be added too. Parcel force will send you a letter when your package arrives telling you how much you owe. You can go and pay in person + pick the package up, or pay on net/phone and they'll deliver.

Think my bags were around £470 including postage, and the additional charges I had to pay in the UK was about £68 (VAT, import tax and parceforce handling fee of £8). Still that said, the bags are £900 in the UK!

Good luck with your purchase :)

anything over £18 get customs taxes. then royal mail take £8 right away no matter how much over.

customs could also hold your stuff for a while depending on how busy/arsed they are about it, so it's not quick.

having said that, if you use reputable companies,the customs people recognise their name and tend to get them through, using UPS is expemsive but good as they have their own delivery system ie planes and couriers over in the UK.

did you not see the 2 in 1 exhaust for xs250 on ebay? they are the same bike with smaller bores/carbs!!

!*#t i missed that... i will look in a minute.....

thank you for your replies lads :)

you might have missed it as its german here