tx500 oil filter substitution

mattgm
This post is 4053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI - im refreshing a mint tx500 sat for some years with 4000 original miles - the oil was clean when i dropped it - the zcarbs were gummed up and the tank filled with the most vile stuff i have ever encountered that was not bio sourced - anyway - i am looking for a substitute for the oem spin on filter now only available from ebay guys that want $60 for a an nos - oil filter - anyone have a cross they have used idea's ?????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI - im refreshing a mint tx500 sat for some years with 4000 original miles - the oil was clean when i dropped it - the zcarbs were gummed up and the tank filled with the most vile stuff i have ever encountered that was not bio sourced - anyway - i am looking for a substitute for the oem spin on filter now only available from ebay guys that want $60 for a an nos - oil filter - anyone have a cross they have used idea's ?????

There is a guy on ebay that will sell you 3 oil filters for $32 ( I bought 6 ) they will be slightly rusty and I could not fit them without pulling the stator cover off by about 1/4 inch. Good luck.

There is a guy on ebay that will sell you 3 oil filters for $32 ( I bought 6 ) they will be slightly rusty and I could not fit them without pulling the stator cover off by about 1/4 inch. Good luck.

Sorry, you will need to search for "XS 500 oil filter" its the same thing.

Sorry, you will need to search for "XS 500 oil filter" its the same thing.

that post is no longer on ebay - there is a guy selling one filter (NEW AFTERMARKET ) FOR 40 BUCKS - I have to beleive there i s afilter out there for some other application that will work - im thinking about reworking the filter mount to take another filter if i have to

that post is no longer on ebay - there is a guy selling one filter (NEW AFTERMARKET ) FOR 40 BUCKS - I have to beleive there i s afilter out there for some other application that will work - im thinking about reworking the filter mount to take another filter if i have to

Did you even look? The item # is 370302738754 The filters are new but old stock, you get 3 for that price, expect to see a tiny amount of rust.

Did you even look? The item # is 370302738754 The filters are new but old stock, you get 3 for that price, expect to see a tiny amount of rust.

- -hEY THANKS - THAT LISTING DID NOT SHOW WHEN I SEARCHED - NO IDEA WHY - - iD STILL LIKE TO FIND A GENERIC CROSS BUT - I GUESS THIS IS A GOOD OPTION -

- -hEY THANKS - THAT LISTING DID NOT SHOW WHEN I SEARCHED - NO IDEA WHY - - iD STILL LIKE TO FIND A GENERIC CROSS BUT - I GUESS THIS IS A GOOD OPTION -

Looking at the filter, and having a pasionate dislike for the profiteering bastards on Ebay. Have you looked at car filters. There are only 2 sizes of suzuki filters on the earlier stuff, big and small, same as some of their cars.

That filter must have some kind of industry standard thread, and being japaneese it will be most likely metric or metric fine. I think it would be worth an hour in halfrauds opening boxes (discretely) to see if there is anything. At the end of the day a filter is a filter as far as the 4 stroke goes

Looking at the filter, and having a pasionate dislike for the profiteering bastards on Ebay. Have you looked at car filters. There are only 2 sizes of suzuki filters on the earlier stuff, big and small, same as some of their cars.

That filter must have some kind of industry standard thread, and being japaneese it will be most likely metric or metric fine. I think it would be worth an hour in halfrauds opening boxes (discretely) to see if there is anything. At the end of the day a filter is a filter as far as the 4 stroke goes

I have already done that. If I recall correctly, the threads measure 21mm and the closest I could find is 19mm. The spacing for the O ring is also odd. Nothing matched up at all.

I think its a pretty fair deal when you can buy a long gone discontinued filter for about $12. Now if you are just cheap and want to be able to use $3 Walmart filters, I can understand that and even agree, but to call the ebay supplier a "profiteering bastard" seems unfair.

• 2 weeks later...

I have already done that. If I recall correctly, the threads measure 21mm and the closest I could find is 19mm. The spacing for the O ring is also odd. Nothing matched up at all.

I think its a pretty fair deal when you can buy a long gone discontinued filter for about $12. Now if you are just cheap and want to be able to use $3 Walmart filters, I can understand that and even agree, but to call the ebay supplier a "profiteering bastard" seems unfair.

I agree - nothing wrong with the guy selling old new stock for that price -- theres another guy sell a new filter that is a cross for 60 bucks - i do have an issue with that - - and what happens when the guy with old stock runs out - ??? thats why im looking for the auto filter cross - -

An unfair generalisation. Possibly

Before e-bay you could ring a breaker and buy a front end, rear end as lumps. They strip it all down to the last nut bolt and washer now.

If the units are in such short supply i would be looking into modifying the bike ready for when they run out. How long is this chap going to have the filters.

An unfair generalisation. Possibly

Before e-bay you could ring a breaker and buy a front end, rear end as lumps. They strip it all down to the last nut bolt and washer now.

If the units are in such short supply i would be looking into modifying the bike ready for when they run out. How long is this chap going to have the filters.

That is why I bought six of them. 1 per year, if I still have the bike after 6 years and its still running I will review the options available.

That is why I bought six of them. 1 per year, if I still have the bike after 6 years and its still running I will review the options available.

:D I've had my DT for 22 years and the bike before the TDR i had for over a decade, i only got rid of that due to back problems.

I love the older stuff, well not even that old. The 80's ftuff for me is when the manufacturers had the balance of performance, technical innovation and a very obvious character that has been lost since.

In the 80's you could pick out a particular bike by the exhaust note or even the colour, yam was mainly 2 stroke, (cos lets be honest) it took them a long while to make a 4stroke that was really good. Just as Honda just couldn't screw a 2stroke together if their saki depended on it. Kwaks were just psychotic rockets or crap (Z250 anybody) And Suzuki had the RGV and the GSX-R, people dont remember anything else.

Hmm don't know where that came from.... Don't blame you buying a job lot of filters though. And i'll aim my profiteering comment directly at 60dollar man ;)

Still waiting for my three filters - carbs are rebuilt - could start it on a bottle but still "waiting " need to seal the tank with por - its a bit nasty from sitting - guess i'll do that while i wait for my filters - I agree with the nastalgia - i have restored many 60's bikes and ride a triumph 650 regularly - - there is beauty in the simplicity - - i do also enjoy the new bikes - had a summer with a suzuki bandit - it was awesome - just let a beull lightning go to a good friend who just had to have it - that bike is more "fun" than anything ive ridden - talk about character !!!! Might have to find another x1 - - that said - its sure nice to have that road king in the garage - i've ridden it across the country twice - not a glitch and every time i push the starter and hear that exaust note i smile its like i'm getting away with something - - id like to play with a yamaha triple - or a speed triple those things sound great - some cool japanese vtwin sport bikes out there worth playing with -

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for my three filters - carbs are rebuilt - could start it on a bottle but still "waiting " need to seal the tank with por - its a bit nasty from sitting - guess i'll do that while i wait for my filters - I agree with the nastalgia - i have restored many 60's bikes and ride a triumph 650 regularly - - there is beauty in the simplicity - - i do also enjoy the new bikes - had a summer with a suzuki bandit - it was awesome - just let a beull lightning go to a good friend who just had to have it - that bike is more "fun" than anything ive ridden - talk about character !!!! Might have to find another x1 - - that said - its sure nice to have that road king in the garage - i've ridden it across the country twice - not a glitch and every time i push the starter and hear that exaust note i smile its like i'm getting away with something - - id like to play with a yamaha triple - or a speed triple those things sound great - some cool japanese vtwin sport bikes out there worth playing with -

UPDATE - the Blanking dude with the old filters - has had my money for over three weeks i dont have any filters - kinda stuff that makes you crazy - opened a "paid but didnt get" case on ebay - oh well - guess ill have to figure somthing else out - on the bright side - got the carbs back on - rebuild with kyster kits and the bike runs great off a bottle - rolls up real fast - goign to be very interesting to ride - If you see the dude withthe filters and my money - tell him madmatt is looking for him - !!!!! Im thinking im goign to by a 21 mm tap and cut the right threads in a car filter the right size - or make a pressure can that will hold an element style filter -

UPDATE - the Blanking dude with the old filters - has had my money for over three weeks i dont have any filters - kinda stuff that makes you crazy - opened a "paid but didnt get" case on ebay - oh well - guess ill have to figure somthing else out - on the bright side - got the carbs back on - rebuild with kyster kits and the bike runs great off a bottle - rolls up real fast - goign to be very interesting to ride - If you see the dude withthe filters and my money - tell him madmatt is looking for him - !!!!! Im thinking im goign to by a 21 mm tap and cut the right threads in a car filter the right size - or make a pressure can that will hold an element style filter -

I bought filters from him twice in the last 2 months. Talk to him, find out whats gone wrong. I received mine pronto.

I find communication being the key. last year i won some exhausts ( rare yam ones) which i got for a song, he never sent them, saying this and that.

You can get their address and phone number off ebay ( well just address this time) I found his number from 192.com and phoned him. Its amazing when you call and the subsequent service you get when they realise you have access to their home address and phone number coz it suddenly becomes personal to them and not some faceless buyer!

I find communication being the key. last year i won some exhausts ( rare yam ones) which i got for a song, he never sent them, saying this and that.

You can get their address and phone number off ebay ( well just address this time) I found his number from 192.com and phoned him. Its amazing when you call and the subsequent service you get when they realise you have access to their home address and phone number coz it suddenly becomes personal to them and not some faceless buyer!

i sent a few emails no response after i hit the thirty day point - i put in a claim with ebay he returned my money - so much for the e bay guy - im going to try finding a modern filter or making an adapter

i sent a few emails no response after i hit the thirty day point - i put in a claim with ebay he returned my money - so much for the e bay guy - im going to try finding a modern filter or making an adapter

I suppose he just doesn't like you??? He still has filters listed, It makes no sense to me. Good luck with the filter mods, let us know how you do it.

DM

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online